August 13, 2022 | Parish Update
The Need to Change, Calling All Children & Alpha!
View the full posting at https://app.flocknote.com/note/17700178
From Father Michael . . .
I hope after the reading of our Gospel this weekend you didn’t just go into autopilot and say, “Praise to you Lord, Jesus Christ.” Jesus in the Gospel brings a difficult truth to the Gospel: “Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.”
Did you pause to reflect on how this is in the Gospel? How is this Good news?
What we need to come to realize is the division isn’t from God, the division lies in our own hearts. None of us is perfect and we all need God’s mercy. But, to receive that mercy, we need to acknowledge the need to change. Change can be difficult and painful. Hence, people’s rejection of change leading to division.
Why should we truly say “Praise to you Lord, Jesus Christ” for this Gospel? We should claim it all the more because the Lord loves us so much. God desires to not leave us where we are at. He desires to draw us to Himself. He calls us to become a new creation in Him. Let us ask God for the grace, as St. Paul says to “rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus.”
We look forward to seeing you at any of the Mass times this weekend, where Father James will be preaching at all Masses, or stop by and visit Jesus at the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, at daily Mass during the week or at Eucharistic Adoration
Family Faith Formation Registration is Now OPEN!
- CALLING ALL CHILDREN! Registration for Religious Education, EDGE, and LIGHT are now open. Parents of children K thru 12, we look forward to growing in faith with you and your children. Details and registration are found here.
THIS COMING WEEK
- While not a holy day of obligation this year, we hope to see you for the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary either at the Mass Times at 8am or 7pm (in English)
“Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did.”
-St. Maximillian Kolbe
Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group continues on 8/16
- All young adults are invited to join the Consuming Fire Young Adult Community. This group meets every Tuesday from 7pm to 8:30pm in Room 211. We gather to eat, pray, and ‘do life together’!
- From the weekly Tuesday gatherings to additional social gatherings (hiking, dinner at someone’s home or at a restaurant, Friday evening volleyball, and Sunday softball), there are so many good reasons to join this fun awesome group! Want more information? Sign up HERE
St. Peregrine Prayer Service 8/16
- All are invited to attend the St. Peregrine Prayer Service on Tuesday, August 16th in the church after the 6:30pm Mass with Deacon Tony Leazzo and Jolene LeRoy RN, Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care.
- St. Peregrine is the patron saint of the sick, especially those experiencing cancer, serious illness or chronic illness. Anyone experiencing physical, emotional, mental or spiritual health concerns would benefit from attending the prayer service. There will be time after the service to venerate the relic of St. Peregrine and pray for your personal needs or intentions.
- This month’s Mobile Food Pantry is on Weds 8/17th from 4:30pm to 6pm in the parking lot at OLM. Don’t forget to share the Our Lady of Mercy social media posting on your network; you never know who among your network is in need of food.
- The Catholic Charities, Diocese of Joliet Mobile Food Pantry delivers healthy food (meat, produce, and non-perishable items) to people in need. No identification or information will be required or collected. This event is open to anyone in need of food! Mobile Food Pantries use a “drive-thru” method to distribute food during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please clear space in your trunk or backseat so volunteers can load boxes of food directly into your vehicle. Catholic Charities helps people of all faiths and beliefs. Mobile Food Pantries take place rain or shine!
Salt & Light on 8/17
- Not part of any of our Grow Groups? Like Jesus’ disciples, our walk with the Lord today is not one lived in isolation but rather one immersed in community and enriched by authentic friendship with others. Salt & Light Grow Group provide a place of deep transformation where people can be known, loved, and cared for as they strive to deepen their friendship with Jesus and one another.
- Join this awesome group, etails and registration are found here. See you on Wednesdays at 7pm. The group also gathers socially once a month and also has volunteer gatherings at Feed My Starving Children FMSC
- Vine & Branches is a Grow Group that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce. Meets on Wednesdays at 7pm, please register here
Respect Life Ministry hosts “Post Roe America Apologetics” Talk on 8/20
- On Saturday 8/20th from 2pm to 4pm, Tom Usle and Veronica Lamlech of Students for Life of America, will be giving a talk on “Post Roe America Apologetics”
- Are you confident in answering tough questions from your friends, peers, sons, daughters, other relatives, coworkers, and pro-abortion proponents regarding pro-life issues? Or do you find yourself backed into a corner unable to articulate and defend the truth you know with firm conviction deep in your heart? Are you wondering what lies ahead in a post-Roe era?
Our Lady of Mercy Respect Life Ministry and the Students for Life of America are here to help; come to this FREE dynamic informative session on how to advance the culture of life in a post-Roe America.
- Sign up for the Women’s Conference from John Paull II Healing Center – Undone – Freedom for the Feminine Heart taking place here at Our Lady of Mercy from Thursday 9/22 through Saturday 9/24. Registration is OPEN, join 120 women and counting, for a powerful refreshing time. Click on the graphic to register below!
- Do you desire to dive deeper into the freedom that you were created for? Do you feel restricted and bound by the knots of sin and shame that conceal the profound beauty of your feminine heart?
Ladies, immerse yourself in a three-day conference of truth and transformation as the knots of Eve, in us, are undone by Mary’s example of radical receptivity. Through a series of talks, teachings, and prayer experiences, you will be invited to become Undone in God’s presence while deeply receiving the truth of your authentic identity. Let your friends know to save these dates as well, you won’t want to miss this conference.
Are you curious about becoming Catholic? Are you Catholic but haven’t yet received all your sacraments?
- O.C.I A., the Order of Christian Initiation for Adults, is the amazing journey of entering into the fullness of the Catholic faith. We will help you to learn, grow, find community, and prepare for the fullness of life that God desires for us all!
- Even if you’re unsure with where you’re at regarding becoming Catholic or receiving all your sacraments, please fill out this form so that we can know how best to help! You are also welcome to reach out to Fr. James at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary’s Squad In-Person Workouts continue 8/20 & 8/27
- Mary’s Squad workouts are on Saturday mornings at 8:30am are now in-person.
- Workout details are: stretch and strengthening mat workout while we pray the rosary. Concludes with 10 minutes of meditative silent prayer followed by group prayer intentions.
- Please reach out to Juanita Pacheco email@example.com, one of the leads, and let them know you will be joining them; they are looking forward to welcoming you.
Grief Support Group 8/22
- If you are experiencing grief and would like to join others for a time of sharing stories, tears and laughter, prayer, and moving forward in hope – please come on Monday, August 22nd from 11am to 1pm in the Ministry Room located in the church. There is no registration. This is an opportunity to receive support and understanding during your grief journey. If you have questions, please call Jolene LeRoy RN Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care at 331-707-5380.
- All of us have experienced joys and sorrows, ups and downs, accomplishments and disappointments in our lives. Healing Hearts is a ministry for anyone 18 years of age or older who would like to practice self-care for their own health and wellness and would also like to reach out to others to offer healing and hope.
- The next gathering is on Monday, August 22nd from 7pm to 8:30pm in Room 218 in the Parish Life Center. If you have questions, need resources or support, or would like to learn more about the ministry, please contact Janice Hurtado Aeppli at 312-217-7872 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re excited to invite you to “The Chosen” Catholic Bible Study on Tuesdays starting August 23rd @ 7pm.
Whether you’ve never been to a Bible Study, are intimidated by the Bible, or are a regular participant in our Bible Studies, this experience is for you!
Through both watching the series episode and breaking open the Scripture readings related to each episode, the experience will enable you to imagine yourself in the story.
This will change the way you read the Bible forever.
Contact Joe Wiacek with any questions email@example.com
FREE Deconstructing Annulment Myths Workshop 8/24
- Annulments are the single most confusing topic for divorced Catholics. Many wonder; 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘶𝘭𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵? 𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘥𝘰 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯𝘦? 𝘋𝘰 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘶𝘭𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘺 𝘊𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘤? 𝘊𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘶𝘭𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵?
- This highly informative workshop address all the above and more. This workshop will cover
- What an annulment is and why they exist
- The Catholic Church’s teaching on the permanence of marriage
- Why a Catholic would need an annulment
- Will I need to interact with my former spouse to go through annulment (no you won’t have to)
- The type of annulments
- The steps in a formal annulment process
- The grounds for granting an annulment
- The recent changes Pope Francis has made in the annulment process
- How to begin the annulment process
- Connect with any of the following leaders for any questions: Kim Harris firstname.lastname@example.org Mary LoGalbo email@example.com John Frederick firstname.lastname@example.org Jim Marks email@example.com
- Register at this link
Family Faith Formation Open House 8/27 & 8/28
- Following all the Mass times will be an open house for the Family Faith Formation Programs. Come, meet other families on a similar journey, and bring any questions that you may have about our offerings. Look for refreshments and crafts for the kids!
- Who will want to take advantage of our next Open House?
- Families with children in Grades K-5 who are not yet register for Family Faith Formation (R.E.)
- Families with students in Middle School not yet registered for EDGE (After 8:00 & 10:00 AM Masses)
- Students in Grades 6-12 Looking for meaningful service hours
- Empty nesters, grandparents, & godparents with a passion to support parents growing in faith with young children
- Adults with a desire to share our beautiful faith with children
- If you’ve been thinking of going or wanting to invite someone to Alpha, now is a perfect time, register here. If you’re unsure, just come and see for yourself on Thursday evenings in September. There is a group for Young Adults, Families, All- Ages Groups, and an awesome Spanish Group!
- We all know people who are far away from the Lord, who may be asking questions about whether or not God even exists. That’s why every couple of months we challenge you to invite someone to try Alpha, because we believe invitation is powerful!
Remember how the apostle Andrew invited Peter to meet Jesus plus over the past 4 years, we’ve seen lives transformed and surrendered to Christ, all because someone had the courage to extend an invitation.
In the next few weeks, ask the Lord if there’s someone He wants you to invite to try Alpha.
Invitations can be intimidating, so we want to make inviting your friends and family to Alpha as easy as possible. Swipe through to read some tips that can help you invite anyone in your life to join us for Alpha!
You can do it! We’re praying for you.
Waterleaf Run/Walk for Life 5K on 9/10
- Take part in Waterleaf’s Run for Life at the Waubonsee Lake Park on Saturday September 10th at 8am. Choose between 5K Run, 2.2 mile walk, or kids run. Register now to support the life-saving work of Waterleaf Women’s Center at this link.
- With good food and good discussions, we hope to see you for the last “Summer Girl’s Night Out Undone Book Study” gathering for the summer on Weds @ 6:30pm on 9/14 @ Minghin Chinese Dim Sum in Naperville.
- Registration and further details are found HERE.
- Undone: Freeing your Feminine Heart from the Knots of Fear and Shame by Carrie Schuchts Daunt is a book with a collection of raw and redemptive testimonies from Catholic women such as Lisa Brenninkmeyer and Jen Settle which offers an opportunity to discover what is true and what is healing in areas where we may have struggled in our identities as a daughter, sister, bride, and mother.
Purchase the book now and read one chapter (part) before each gathering. Here are links to the book at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, or at the JPII Healing Center site
OLM Bowling League August 2022 thru May 2023
- Do not spend another fall, winter, and spring cooped up in your home!!! Come out and join the OLM Mixed Bowling League. You need not be a good bowler. You only need to come out and enjoy some safe time out with fellow parishioners for one Friday a month. If you have thought about joining a league, now is the time to give it a try. There are 4 players to a team, but we will build a team for <4 players who wish to join. Fees are $17/person per month.
- The league will be one Friday/month from August through May, skipping December. If you have questions and/or would like to join the league, please give Dan Panozzo a call at 815- 302-4111 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come on out and join the fun!
World Youth Day 2023
- The Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group is looking to join the Joliet Diocese on a Pilgrimage to Lisbon, Portugal for World Youth Day 2023 from July 29 to August 7. Come and join them! This includes an optional pre-tour to Madrid from July 25 to 29. Proceed here for further details.
- From time to time, there are phishing (SCAM) emails going out to members of the parish and staff claiming to be Father Michael.
Please note that Father Michael and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Michael or Father James, please discard it, (any email that does not have “olmercy.com” is a fake email) and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID. No one on the staff will personally ask for money in whatever form (gift cards etc). If someone sends you a private message, asking for a donation of sorts, it’s undoubtedly a fake account. Please keep praying for us, and God bless you!
Bishop Hick’s Monthly Column
- In his August column, Bishop Hicks writes “Marking 20 years of reforms to protect children” Read it HERE
Do you have a story to share of your time with Jesus in the Eucharist?
- In the Eucharist, Jesus wants to remind you that you are never alone, that He is with you. In your brokenness, sorrows, and frustrations, He is with you. In everything you face—when you’re tired, ready to give up, hanging on by a thread, Jesus says to you, “I AM HERE.”
- If you have experienced the above with Jesus, we invite you to share your story so as to inspire others to spend time with Jesus in the Eucharist, and to go to Holy Mass. Allow your story to be the vessel that can reach that person who Jesus is drawing to Himself more closely, especially those who are going through a tough time right now. Let us take part in the National Eucharistic Revival in a tangible way; come and share your story of your encounter with Jesus in the Eucharist. Connect with email@example.com to share your encounter.
Family Faith Formation Office is Hiring
- Coordinator of Family & Youth Evangelization & Catechesis for Grades 6-12 Youth Ministry – LIGHT & EDGE
We are seeking a part-time Coordinator for Family and Youth Catechesis and Evangelization for Grades 6-12. The Coordinator will work with a ministry team to develop and grow disciples for Christ and send them on mission. The primary focus will be spent working with high school and middle school teens and their families in a variety of ministry settings. An applicant must have experience in youth or family ministry, have a Bachelor’s Degree in Religious Studies, or Pastoral Ministry or a related field and must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing, and must know, profess and act consistently in accordance with the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic Church, and with the mission, philosophy, objectives, and policies of the Diocese of Joliet. The position is 28 hours a week with no benefits.Please submit a resume to Dave Miserendino via email at DaveM@olmercy.com.
Building a Community Garden on Parish Grounds
- Do you have a green thumb? Or perhaps you like gardening and are good at caring for plants? Connect with the Justice & Peace Ministry, which has carved out a Community Garden at Our Lady of Mercy parish grounds. Produce from the Community Garden will be given to local organizations such as Hesed House and local food pantries. Please contact Ida at 630-605-6038 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris at 631-561-9722 or email@example.com.
Did You Know We Have a Parish School?
- All Saints Catholic Academy (ASCA) located at 1155 Aurora Ave, Naperville is our parish school!
- Are you a parent with preschool, elementary, and middle school-aged children struggling with the antithetical Christian values the government schools are indoctrinating the children who attend the government schools? You’re not alone.
- Join a growing number of OLM parents who have made the movement! Consider connecting with some of the families who have made the move from sending their child(ren) to public school to All Saints Catholic Academy.
- Connect with Patty Bajek at (630) 961-6125, or firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest and schedule a personalized tour. Or peruse their website to explore your interest.
- Thank you for your support of our clothing drive. Your clothing donation, as well as your financial donations throughout the year, allows us to help our parishioners and neighbors in need. In the last quarter of 2021, we provided assistance to 35 people/families.
- The ministry is always looking for volunteers to join our St. Vincent de Paul Society in assisting our neighbors in need. If you would like to volunteer or learn more, send an email to email@example.com with your name and contact information.
- Check out the weekly Bulletin located here.
- Thank you so much to those who have pledged! Once we have reached our goal in paid pledges, 70% of the additional funds received will be returned to our parish.
- Father Don and Bishop Hicks are asking us to join them in pledging to the CMAA to help the poor and vulnerable, form our future shepherds, and spread the faith through our Catholic schools, faith formation programs in parishes, and programs for young adults.
- Donations can be made here Check out how your gifts to the CMAA help at this link. Thank you for your consideration.
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry’s upcoming events and resources.
Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.
A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
- How can we be praying for you today?
There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- Prayer Ministry takes place monthly at MAGNIFY and on the last weekend of the month Mass times. Prayer ministry is an opportunity for those in need of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing or with a specific intention. Come as an individual, as a couple, or as. a family and receive prayer for yourself or request prayers for someone in need. Listen and receive the prayers while being open to the Holy Spirit’s movement. Trained prayer ministers are available.
- If you haven’t done so, we encourage you to download the Our Lady of Mercy app available to download for iPhone and Android smartphones. Or text APP to 88202 to download.
- Stay connected with our parish throughout the week with instant notifications, an easy-to-access event calendar, and the ability to quickly reply to or share messages via Facebook or Twitter. Also enjoy a bunch of additional features like prayers, daily readings, helpful reminders to silence your phone before Mass or Confession, and much more.
- Our online giving link has been updated by our provider (OSV), please be sure to update your bookmark, below is the link.
- The myParish App “Giving” button has been updated. Don’t have the myParish App yet? Text APP to 88202 to download! Receive this update, instant news, and get access to the parish calendar, daily readings, and Confession guide among a plethora of things.
Grow Groups | We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
World Youth Day 2023. The Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group is looking to join the Joliet Diocese on a Pilgrimage to Lisbon, Portugal for World Youth Day 2023 from July 29 to August 7. This includes an optional pre-tour to Madrid from July 25 to 29. Proceed here for further details.
SALT AND LIGHT GROW GROUP
Mission. “Encounter/Grow/Witness” is the threefold dimension of the Christian life. Once we encounter Jesus, we are then called to grow daily as His disciples. Grow Groups are one way Our Lady of Mercy is responding to our missionary identity where we are called to help parishioners grow continually in discipleship.
GROW YOUR FAITH
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives.
From Augustine Institute comes this NEW AND FREE Catholic prayer app that inspires your daily conversation with God through faithful meditations and nourishing Scripture. There is also Family Content: Enjoy and share family-favorite audio from the series Brother Francis and the Jesus Stories. Please enjoy this latest offering from the Augustine Institute.
Hallow is a Catholic prayer & meditation app that helps users deepen their relationship with God through contemplative prayer and strengthen one’s mental health in the process. Easy-to-use, audio-guided sessions anywhere from 1 to 60 minutes long. Pray your own way with a personalized prayer plan pulling from 3,000+ unique sessions including the Lectio Divina on the Daily Gospel, Rosary, Examen, Night Prayer, Calm & Humility “Praylists” and much more. Hallow Light is free. Hallow Plus is $5 per month ($60 per year). Sign up for either one here.
WORD ON FIRE
Engage the goodness, truth, and beauty of the faith!
Did you know that you have complete access to Bishop Barron’s Word on Fire ENGAGE video library! Check out this link to watch any of the videos whenever you want without ever having to login.
Not sure where to start? How about checking out the short 5 episode series on The Eucharist This fresh look at the Eucharist brings to light its reality as sacred meal, the sacrifice necessary for communion with God, and the real presence of Christ.
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all-new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream-on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on the go. Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
Have you wanted to get to know St. Thomas Aquinas and his writings more so as to grow closer to Jesus?
Sign up for any of the short and free courses at Aquinas 101 a project of the
Thomistic Institute seeks to promote understanding of the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, the eminent 13th-century philosopher, and theologian.
Aquinas is a masterful interpreter of reality. His writings assist us in answering perennial questions on topics like God, man, the natural world, law, and morality, and questions of special relevance to our time like the relationship between modern science and faith or pursuing happiness in the digital era.
If you have physical, mental, emotional or spiritual health concerns or questions about end-of-life issues, funeral planning, journeying through grief, caregiving for a loved one or are homebound, please contact Jolene LeRoy RN Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care for support and resources at email@example.com or 331-707-5380.
HEALING HEARTS MINISTRY
All of us have experienced joys and sorrows, ups and downs, accomplishments and disappointments in our lives. There may have been times that resulted in brokenness or heavy hearts that affect our attitude and way of living. The Open HEARTS Ministry has changed its name to Healing Hearts as it is a ministry for anyone 18 years of age or older who would like to practice self-care for their own health and wellness and would also like to reach out to others to offer healing and hope.
If you are in need of emotional or mental health support or resources, please contact Janice Hurtado Aeppli at 321-217- 7872 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you find yourself struggling in overcoming your battle with pornography? Restore is a weekly (anonymous) meeting where men lean on each other for support and accountability and share ideas as to how to strengthen our resolve to stay on God’s path of chastity. All men are welcome, whether you have been free of pornography addiction for many years or struggle with it every single day.
If you are ready to start breaking free from the grips of pornography and want to Restore your life email us at Restore.email@example.com to find out more information on when and where we meet.
GRIEF SUPPORT MINISTRY
If you are experiencing grief and would like to join others for a time of sharing stories, tears and laughter, prayer, and moving forward in hope – please come on Monday, June 27 from 11am to 1pm in the Ministry Room located in the church. There is no registration. This is an opportunity to receive support and understanding during your grief journey. If you have questions, please call Jolene LeRoy RN Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care at 331-707-5380.
MOMS WALKING WITH MOMS IN NEED
Pregnant and parenting moms in need are in our parishes and our neighborhoods. As Pope Francis reminds us, our parishes need to be “islands of mercy in the midst of a sea of indifference.” Everyone in the parish community should know where to refer a pregnant woman in need. Please see this infographic to be informed on how we are walking with Moms in need. Connect with Lydia Schmitt for further questions at firstname.lastname@example.org