June 12, 2021 | Weekly Update
The Seed of Faith
The mustard seed of faith is small and fragile, but with faith, we can move mountains and be a mighty force for God in the world.
To say, “I believe in God” is to assert this faith that isn’t merely a blind, irrational act, but stepping out in confidence knowing that our God is trustworthy and He keeps His promises.
To prepare ourselves to go to Mass this weekend where Deacon Tom will be preaching at all the Masses (except the 5:30pm ), we invite you to watch the short video on the Flocknote email from Father Stephen Gadberry – a combat war veteran and American Ninja Warrior.
“Perhaps I am only a grain of sand, but every grain has its own place, its special role to carry out.”
—Venerable Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan
Questions for Additional Reflection:
Where is God asking me to have great faith?
Who are the examples of steadfast faith in my life?
St. Augustine said that “faith seeks understanding.” What questions about the Catholic faith do you have right now?
THIS COMING WEEK
- Thank you for praying! Father Don’s surgery went well. Please continue to keep him in your prayers for a full and safe recovery.
-|- We give you praise Jesus for looking after our beloved pastor whom we love so much -|-.
- If you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to read up on the new guidelines. (It’s exciting for we are able to welcome everyone at full capacity!)
- Our Lady of Mercy Eucharist Adoration times are Monday and Thursdays 8:30am to 6pm. Wednesdays 8am to 12pm and at Magnify typically at the last Wednesday of the month from 7pm to 8:30pm. To sign-up for any of these times, click here.
- If these times do not work for you, Saints Peter and Paul have a 24 Hour Adoration Chapel which will re-open on Sunday 6/13th, you can sign up at this link or by calling their parish office 630-355-1081.
- High school teenagers, sign-up for the much-coveted Teen Mission Trip spot, there are a few openings left, sign up by 6/15. Do something extraordinary this summer; impact a community in a very real way. Reach out to Dave Miserendino at the Youth Ministry office.
- The Grandparents Ministry will be meeting in-person on Tuesday 6/15 from 7pm to 8:30pm in Room 124. If you prefer to attend via Zoom, please connect with Jolene at email@example.com.
- Come out this Wednesday evening for a summer MAGNIFY, bring the children, invite your friends and neighbors to spend some time with Jesus; share what’s on your mind with Him. Scriptural reflection by Father James, confessions and an evening of praise and worship lead by Josh Goodman; all good reasons to go to MAGNIFY.
- AMA with Father James Part 2 is Friday 6/18th @ 7pm. Check out the trailer below.
- Submit your “great question” at this link
- Part 1 last month was illuminating and fun; from answering “Why does Fr. James use a different sized host than Fr. Don?” to “What do I do if a close relative/friend invites me to their same-sex ceremony?”
- Did you miss Part 1 of the AMA with Father James? You can view it here or here.
- Bread for the World through your signed Offering of Letter and Bread members urge Congress to expand anti-hunger programs in response to the pandemic and increase funding for nutrition programs. Watch this brief video to understand how your letter helps and what the organization does.
- In past years OLM parishioners have offered over 500+ letters. The letters you write will be given to the diocesan group that will meet later this month with our Illinois senators and representatives. People can address the letter to Senator Durbin and/or Senator Duckworth and Representative Foster. Sample letters in English and Spanish are available. A box will be available on the desk in the PLC lobby for the signed letters. Please return printed, signed letters to OLM next week.
- Please see the below message from Bishop Hicks. We hope to see each and every one of you soon. The church is ready and your parish family here at Our Lady of Mercy can’t wait to see you!
- Schedule to donate blood at this link on Saturday 6/19 from 8am to 12pm. Every donor will save up to 3 lives!
- While appointments are appreciated, walk-ins are welcome!
- You DO NOT NEED the Covid-19 vaccine in order to donate.
- You are also eligible to donate if you received a COVID-19 vaccine on or before 6/16.
- Please make sure to eat a healthy meal and drink plenty of water before donating. Thank you!
- Please help the babies and their mothers and fathers who are facing the unexpected news of their unplanned pregnancy.
- Support the Our Lady of Mercy Respect Life Ministry annual Baby Bottle For Life Fundraising for Waterleaf Women’s Center from Mother’s Day (May 9, 2021) to Father’s Day (June 20, 2021). http://www.fundeasy.com/m/5133322/
- The Fathers Day Collection for Diocesan Infirmed and Elderly Priests is 6/19 – 6/20. This annual collection helps meet the needs of our elderly, informed, and retired diocesan priests, especially those who have extraordinary medical expenses beyond what insurance can cover. Please give generously to these second fathers in our lives at this link
- “The heart of Christ’s priests knows only two directions: the Lord and His people.”
— Pope Francis, Jubilee of Mercy for Priests, June 3, 2016
“It helps out with unusual expenses that a priest might encounter, like a huge dental bill or a hearing aid,” said Father John Balluff, episcopal vicar for clergy for the diocese.
This second collection also helps to pay for repairs at the St. John Vianney Villa Priest Retirement Home in Naperville, an assisted living facility for retired priests. But we all know that few priests really retire, as they often fill in for a pastor who becomes sick or goes on sabbatical. They also celebrate daily and weekend Masses, hear confessions, perform funerals, celebrate weddings, and anoint the sick.
- Not sure what to get the father(s) in your life? Scroll to the end to see what “The Catholic Gentleman” recommends.
- Here’s your chance to join our excellent diocesan Bible school right here at this parish. The Biblical Institute offers an in-depth study of the Bible, from the Catholic point of view, presented by trained and experienced Catholic teachers.
For information, go to: www.dioceseofjoliet.org/bidj
Or call 815-221-6147.
Biblical Institute Preview Event – Our Lady of Mercy
In person event: Saturday 6/25 from 9am -10:30 am
Zoom event: go to www.dioceseofjoliet.org/bidj
- Register at catholicsportscamps.org for the Catholic Baseball Camp for boys and girls ages 8-12. Fee is $150 (scholarships are available).
- Basic to advanced baseball skills and training. Women’s softball/baseball coach for girls. Daily Mass, Rosary, Adoration, Confession.
- We are excited to announce that OLM Vacation Bible School will be welcoming 100 students in person this summer! Children, come on out 8/6 thru 8/6 from 9am to 12pm and embark on an epic quest through hidden ruins, ancient caves, and dense jungles.
- At Treasured VBS, kids dig into action-packed, faith-filled adventures. They’ll discover God’s greatest treasure isn’t diamonds, gems, or gold – it’s them! The deadline to signup is June 16th. Details and registration are at this link.
- Did you get an email from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
- We are looking for an intentional disciple of Jesus who will be the Associate Director of Family and Youth Evangelization and Catechesis for Grades 6-12. Please lift up in prayer who God is going to send to us and please let others know as well so as to cast the net wide for our search.
- Click here for details.
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin article located here.
- If you have not done so already, please do consider supporting our efforts here at Our Lady of Mercy by supporting the Diocesan Catholic Ministries Annual Appeal (CMAA).
- The CMAA allows us, together, to do our part in building God’s kingdom here on earth. Father Don and Bishop Hicks are asking us to join them in supporting the CMAA to help the poor and vulnerable, form our future shepherds, and spread the faith through our Catholic schools, faith formation programs in parishes, and programs for young adults.
- Our parish’s goal for the 2021 CMAA is $154,400, with 70 percent of any amount we raise over this goal returned to us for our use.
- If you wish to donate now, please click here https://bit.ly/2MOQHVY Read the following report at this link https://bit.ly/3dd154X on how your gifts to the CMAA helps. For further details, please click here https://bit.ly/3jQxf7i
- Thank you for prayerfully considering supporting the 30 ministries and shining Jesus’ light brightly in our diocese.
- Our Online Giving is getting an upgrade to a newer, easier-to-use platform! If you currently give online, you should have received an email with instructions on how to log into the new system. Best of all, your existing payment and donation information will be migrated over so you will not have to set up your gifts again! Please reach out to the business office for any questions 630-851-3444.
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry upcoming events and resources.
Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.
A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
- Hooray, we are at full capacity! Because of this, we will only live stream the 10am Mass.
- For those who are not comfortable attending Mass in the Church, please continue to watch on your mobile device in your vehicle, where Holy Communion will be brought to you at the 10am Mass.
- We continue to seek creative individuals who are interested in joining our “Stream Team” to help. It is fun, easy, and fulfilling to take part in and you’ll have the love, support, and thankfulness of the Livestream Community.
- If you are interested or know someone who would enjoy volunteering in this role, please connect with firstname.lastname@example.org
- How can we be praying for you today?
There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- The overall goal of this team is to bring to life through communications our parish vision: to offer every person a life-changing encounter with Jesus, grow disciples and send them on mission.
- Volunteers that will be part of “The Messengers” team will be tasked with implementing the Communications, Social Media, and Online Engagement Strategy of Our Lady of Mercy.
- They will be trained and empowered to manage engaging communications pieces of our parish such as our emails (like this Weekly Update), and postings on all our Communications platforms (website, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter).
They can also assist in creating social media content that builds relationships and community as well as other projects at the direction of the Communications Director.
- Must either be a committed disciple of Jesus or open to being one
- Needed skill sets
- Must enjoy working with others towards common/shared goals and communicate well in a spiritually paced, engaging environment.
- Some knowledge of Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and other emerging platforms.
- Strong content writing/editing background.
- Takes initiative and responsibility, a self-starter.
- Desirable skill sets (but not necessary)
- Some skills in graphic design. Photography, audio/video editing are assets.
- Familiarity with best practices and analyzing analytics of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Interested? Have questions? Know of someone that can be a “Messenger”? Connect with email@example.com, she would love to chat about the volunteer position over coffee, zoom, or phone call.
The group exists to grow a community that inspires and forms the young adult generation to be saints. Since February, they have grown to a roster of more than 50 souls from all over the Aurora, Naperville, and surrounding areas. Join them during the summer session for a wide variety of social activities (rock climbing, and rosary & volleyball are scheduled for June), all with the underlying purpose of cultivating holiness.
- Or let the young adult in your life know about Consuming Fire, they are going to go through a new series “Metanoia” on Tuesday evenings this summer from 7pm to 8:30pm.
- Connect them to their website at this link or with Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy firstname.lastname@example.org
- See what they have been up to below.
Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
- The group’s primary purpose is to help divorced or separated individuals looking to restore hope, find healing, and grow authentic friendships with other individuals who are in a similar situation.
- If this group is of interest to you or if you would like to know more, connect at the following. Don’t forget to let others know who may want to be part of this grow group.
- Click here for more Information & Registration
- Connect with the group leaders (they are looking forward to hearing from you)
Kim Harris email@example.com
Mary LoGalbo firstname.lastname@example.org
John Frederick email@example.com
Jim Marks firstname.lastname@example.org
GROW YOUR FAITH
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives and the great Feast of Corpus Christi.
In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on-the-go.
Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
Available at this link HeroicMen.com
REAL LIFE CATHOLIC
It’s hard to believe, but we’re already halfway through the year of St. Joseph.
To help you understand the huge significance of what this means, our good friends at Real Life Catholic have created a series so you can get to know Joseph as your friend, protector, and spiritual father.
If you’re feeling worn down by life’s daily grind, or you are struggling with temptations, or you simply want to make a change, Joseph, an 8-part Personal Development Program, will help you discover more Jesus, have more joy, and find more purpose in your everyday life.
Presented by eight of the leading voices in the Church, you’ll learn about:
- St. Joseph’s faith and flight to Egypt with Dr. Scott Hahn and Fr. Don Calloway
- His steadfast virtues from Sister Josephine Garrett, Jason Evert and Dallas Carter
- How he can help us in our everyday lives from Beth Davis and Simone Rizkallah
- How Joseph is an unmatched example of a real life Catholic from Chris Stefanick
THE CATHOLIC GENTLEMAN
Not sure what to get the father(s) in your life for Father’s Day? Check out this free guide featuring Catholic gifts for Catholic men.
If you’re a Catholic man who wants to grow in his faith and become a better man, subscribe to “The Catholic Gentleman.” You’ll find posts about manly saints, beer, dressing sharp, marriage, spiritual weapons, and a lot more. You’ll find everything an authentic gentleman needs to know.