May 22, 2021 | Weekly Update
Happy Birthday, Church!
This week we celebrate Pentecost and the unleashing of the Holy Spirit upon the Church!
At Pentecost, the Paschal Mystery was complete and the disciples were ready to become apostles and evangelize to the ends of the earth. We are called to participate in this mission and be renewed by the Holy Spirit!
To help prepare our hearts for Pentecost Sunday, where Deacon Tom Logue will be preaching at the 8am and 5:30pm Masses, check out the Flocknote video reflection on Pentecost by Bobby Angel, Fellow of Parish Life and Renewal at the Word on Fire Institute.
Please don’t forget to sign in ahead of time at this link; as per Diocesan guidelines, we will still continue to register for contact-tracing purposes. (We will update you with any updated guidelines from the Diocese.)
THIS COMING WEEK
What will you ask Father James this Thursday 5/27th?
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Father James on Facebook & YouTube Live is at 7pm Thursday 5/27th, we hope to see you then. Submit your questions ahead of time at this link https://bit.ly/3xEUfwU or post a question during the live stream.From “If we go to Mass on Saturday morning @ 8:30am and received Holy Communion, is it okay to receive Holy Communion on Saturday afternoon Mass @ 4pm?” to “Who was Father Jame’s favorite teacher at Benet?” or “What dish have you cooked for Father Don for dinner that he likes thus far?“
Did you get a chance to read the 5/11 and 5/15 Messages from Father Don?
- It touched on the governor’s 6/11th re-opening announcement and an update from our Diocese on the new Covid Protocols. You can check it out here (just scroll down to 5/15 and 5/11 updates)
Help our community, especially those that don’t know Jesus, see His Presence at Corpus Christi Procession on 6/6
- St. John Paul said of Eucharistic processions: “Our faith in the God who took flesh in order to become our companion along the way needs to be everywhere proclaimed, especially in our streets and homes, as an expression of our grateful love and as an inexhaustible source of blessings” (Mane Nobiscum Domine, No. 18).
And, Pope Benedict XVI said, “Corpus Christi processions allow us to “immerse [Christ], so to speak, in the daily routine of our lives, so that He may walk where we walk and live where we live.”
- We pray you will walk with Jesus at the procession that will begin after the 12pm Mass.
- Special note to the children who had their First Communion last year and this year; come to the procession in your white dress or suit, paving the way for Jesus by ringing the bells and covering the path with flower petals.
- Men, would you like to help protect Jesus? Connect with Shirley Staples, she is looking for holders of the canopy (called baldachin), ushers, and other assistance.
- Connect with Shirley Staples for any questions and/or to help out 630-815-5799 or email@example.com
Mobile Food Pantry on Weds 6/9
- Please spread the word on the Mobile Food Pantry this month. Share this link. If you have a Facebook account, keep an eye for the upcoming Facebook post from our page and share it; this is an easy way to help someone you may be unaware that is in need of food that is in your network of friends or acquaintances.
Another Pizza Party for a Cause at Little Pops Pizzeria on 6/10
- Make it a pizza night on Thursday 6/10th! Or rather, make it a pizza DAY! Proceeds benefit the Teen Mission Trip to the Twin Cities. Thank you to the Knights of Columbus Council #12005 for hosting. What a great excuse to eat pizza “eat pizza for a good cause!”
24 Hour Adoration Chapel at Saints Peter and Paul opens back up on 6/13
- Our Lady of Mercy Eucharist Adoration times are Monday and Thursdays 8:30am to 6pm. Wednesdays 8am to 12pm and at Magnify typically at the last Wednesday of the month from 7pm to 8:30pm. To sign-up for any of these times, click here.
- If these times do not work for you, Saints Peter and Paul have a 24 Hour Adoration Chapel which will re-open on Sunday 6/13th, you can sign up at this link or by calling their parish office 630-355-1081.
Knights of Columbus Blood Drive 6/19
- Schedule to donate blood at this link on Saturday 6/19 from 8am to 12pm. Every donor will save up to 3 lives!
- While appointments are appreciated, walk-ins are welcome!
- You DO NOT NEED the Covid-19 vaccine in order to donate.
- You are also eligible to donate if you received a COVID-19 vaccine on or before 6/16.
- Please make sure to eat a healthy meal and drink plenty of water before donating. Thank you!
Virtual Baby Bottles for Life Mother’s Day to Father’s Day 6/20
- Help the babies and their mothers and fathers who are facing the unexpected news of their unplanned pregnancy.
- Support the Our Lady of Mercy Respect Life Ministry annual Baby Bottle For Life Fundraising for Waterleaf Women’s Center from Mother’s Day (May 9, 2021) to Father’s Day (June 20, 2021). Donate at this link http://www.fundeasy.com/m/5133322/
Don’t Get Scammed by Fake Fathers!
- Did you get an email from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin article located here.
Supporting OLM through the CMAA
- If you have not done so already, please do consider supporting our efforts here at Our Lady of Mercy by supporting the Diocesan Catholic Ministries Annual Appeal (CMAA).
- The CMAA allows us, together, to do our part in building God’s kingdom here on earth. Father Don and Bishop Hicks are asking us to join them in supporting the CMAA to help the poor and vulnerable, form our future shepherds, and spread the faith through our Catholic schools, faith formation programs in parishes, and programs for young adults.
- Our parish’s goal for the 2021 CMAA is $154,400, with 70 percent of any amount we raise over this goal returned to us for our use.
- If you wish to donate now, please click here https://bit.ly/2MOQHVY Read the following report at this link https://bit.ly/3dd154X on how your gifts to the CMAA helps. For further details, please click here https://bit.ly/3jQxf7i
- Thank you for prayerfully considering supporting the 30 ministries and shining Jesus’ light brightly in our diocese.
Regarding OSV Online Giving
- Our Online Giving is getting an upgrade to a newer, easier-to-use platform! If you currently give online, you will soon be receiving an email with instructions on how to log into the new system. Best of all, your existing payment and donation information will be migrated over so you will not have to set up your gifts again! Keep an eye on your email for more information coming very soon.
For the Hispanic Community
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry upcoming events and resources.Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
- Calling all Young Adults to Journeying Together an Inter-Cultural Conversation Thurs 5/27th from 7pm – 9pm. The Hispanic/Latino cultural family will share their community’s story and participants will learn and reflect on those realities and engage in intercultural discussions in response to what was heard and considering pastoral actions. Register at the following link.
Stream Team Update
- With the increased Church capacity of 600 people, we will only live stream the 10am Mass. We will live stream additional Mass times if we find there are more than 600 people attending each Mass and will need to seat people in the PLC/gym area.
- For those who are not comfortable attending Mass in the Church, please continue to watch on your mobile device in your vehicle, where Holy Communion will be brought to you.
- We continue to seek creative individuals who are interested in joining our “Stream Team” to help. It is fun, easy, and fulfilling to take part in and you’ll have the love, support, and thankfulness of the Livestream Community.
- If you are interested or know someone who would enjoy volunteering in this role, please connect with firstname.lastname@example.org
A Note from the Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- How can we be praying for you today?There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
We’re looking for volunteers to join “The Messengers”
- The overall goal of this team is to bring to life through communications our parish vision: to offer every person a life-changing encounter with Jesus, grow disciples and send them on mission.
- Volunteers that will be part of “The Messengers” team will be tasked with implementing the Communications, Social Media, and Online Engagement Strategy of Our Lady of Mercy.
- They will be trained and empowered to manage engaging communications pieces of our parish such as our emails (like this Weekly Update), and postings on all our Communications platforms (website, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter).They can also assist in creating social media content that builds relationships and community as well as other projects at the direction of the Communications Director.
- Must either be a committed disciple of Jesus or open to being one
- Needed skill sets
- Must enjoy working with others towards common/shared goals and communicate well in a spiritually paced, engaging environment.
- Some knowledge of Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and other emerging platforms.
- Strong content writing/editing background.
- Takes initiative and responsibility, a self-starter.
- Desirable skill sets (but not necessary)
- Some skills in graphic design. Photography, audio/video editing are assets.
- Familiarity with best practices and analyzing analytics of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Interested? Have questions? Know of someone that can be a “Messenger”? Connect with email@example.com, she would love to chat about the volunteer position over coffee, zoom, or phone call.
- We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time. In February, we launched the Consuming Fire Young Adult which has grown to be a community of about 40 young adults that are growing in their relationship with Jesus together living out discipleship through real relationships where there is authenticity, accountability, and accompaniment. Let the young adult in your life know about Consuming Fire, connect them to their website at this link or with Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Launching Weds June 9th is Vine & Branches. Please see below!
- Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
- The group’s primary purpose is to help divorced or separated individuals looking to restore hope, find healing, and grow authentic friendships with other individuals who are in a similar situation.
- If this group is of interest to you or if you would like to know more, connect at the following. Don’t forget to let others know who may want to be part of this grow group.