Celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation will be Sunday, November 17th at 3:00 PM
Our Lady of Mercy Parish administers the Sacrament of Confirmation in High School (Grades 9-12). Teens are invited to the preparation program when they are ready. Please see the requirements below for high school teens. Generally, the program below will take 2 years to complete, so teens should consider beginning the L.I.G.H.T. program in their Freshman year, however teens and parents should understand the time commitment before enrolling. We will do everything possible to help families in this process. Information meetings for L.I.G.H.T. (and the Sacrament of Confirmation) will be announced. It is highly suggested you attend one of these meetings so you understand the program!
Confirmation Letter of Intent
A Letter of Intent and Registration form is made available on January 1st for teens to enroll in the next Confirmation preparation program.
The deadline has past to return the Letter of Intent for the current preparation program. Please contact Dave for details or questions at DaveM@olmercy.com 331-707-5371.
Requirements for Teens…
Before entering the Sacramental Program, students are required to complete the following:
(Please note that students do NOT have to complete this all in one year, they may complete requirements at their own pace.)
- All 4 “Basics of Our Catholic Faith Mini-Courses”: Being Catholic, Morality and Justice, Meeting Jesus in Scripture, and Prayer and Worship
- At least 2 “Faith & Life Elective Mini-Courses” which are aimed at deepening their faith and conviction.
- Search Retreat (2 dates offered in the Winter Quarter each year)
- Three (3) Service projects which are focused on serving others.
- Four (4) Discipleship credits aimed at making the teen a disciple for Christ within the community.
Once the above requirements are met, the Confirmation Preparation Program requires the following:
Starting January 1st, please return the Sacrament of Confirmation “Letter of Intent” and “Course/Retreat Registration Form” by the established deadline. Once all the necessary forms and paperwork are turned in to the Youth Ministry Office, candidates will be notified that they are registered in the Confirmation Preparation Program.
- Attend the Opening Session: Seder Meal & Presentation for Candidates, Sponsors & Parents.
- Attend all five sessions of the Confirmation Preparation Course (offered in the Spring Quarter of each year). The themes presented include: Baptism, Life Long Faith Formation, Reconciliation, Eucharist, Jesus Christ and His call to Discipleship, the Mission of the Church, Community of faith, Chrisms and Gifts of the Spirit, Confirmation Rite and signs & symbols of the sacrament.
- Participate in the Harvest Saturday Food Drive and Collection (Can be done before entering Confirmation preparation program and will count as a service project.)
- Attend the Discovery Retreat after preparation classes are completed (2 dates are offered in the Summer quarter).
- Interview for Candidate & Sponsor/Parent – generally held in late summer/early fall (about 15 minutes in length).
- Rehearsal and Ceremony (held each Fall) with a Bishop presiding.
***Family and Sponsor Guidebooks will be given out to families at the Opening Session with additional information.
Religious Education Secretary Grades 6-12
Youth & Young Adult Ministry Director