Our Lady of Mercy Parish generally administers the Sacrament of Confirmation in High School (Grades 9-12).
Adults (18 and over) who would like to receive the sacrament should contact Jean Rehmer (331-707-5375) or JeanR@olmercy.com for information on the RCIA program.
Teens are invited to the preparation program when they are ready. Please see the requirements below for high school teens. Generally, the program below will take 2 years to complete, so teens should consider beginning the L.I.G.H.T. program in their Freshman year, however teens and parents should understand the time commitment before enrolling. We will do everything possible to help families in this process.
Information meetings for L.I.G.H.T. (and the Sacrament of Confirmation) will be announced. It is highly suggested you attend one of these meetings so you understand the program!
Please contact Dave for details or questions at DaveM@olmercy.com 331-707-5371.
For High School Teens currently in the Preparation Program:
- Sponsor Guidebook 2020 (Candidates should give this guidebook to their sponsor)
- Family Guidebook 2020 (Information on the Sacrament of Confirmation)
- Saint Report Information
- Discovery Retreat Info Packet and Permission Form – Cancelled
- Faith Conversations/Interviews (Fall 2020) – TBA
- Confirmation Rehearsal and Ceremony Information – TBA
- Sacrament of Confirmation Checklist – For students NEW TO L.I.G.H.T. to keep track of their requirements. Helpful Hint: Please PRINT this form off and use to keep track of your completed requirements.
Requirements for High School Teens
Before entering the Sacramental Program, students are required to complete the following:
(Please note that students do NOT have to complete this all in one year, they may complete requirements at their own pace.)
- Attend the Youth Alpha Series (9 sessions) and the Day Away/Overnight (offered in the Fall each year)
- Have a Faith Conversation with Faith Mentor (usually held after Alpha)
- Complete the 4 “Basics of Our Catholic Faith” Mini-Courses: Being Catholic, Morality and Justice, Meeting Jesus in Scripture, and Prayer and Worship (Offered Jan-May)
- Complete 3 service projects and 1 discipleship project
**Teens attending a Catholic School should contact Dave to go over the requirements (as some may have been met in your school).
Once the above requirements are met or scheduled, the Confirmation Preparation Program requires the following:
Available January 1st (each year), Teen Candidates/Parents will need to complete and return the Sacrament of Confirmation “Letter of Intent” and “Course/Retreat Registration Form” by the established deadline. Once all the necessary forms and paperwork are turned in to the Youth Ministry Office, candidates will be notified that they are registered in the Confirmation Preparation Program.
- Attend the Opening Session for Candidates, Sponsors & Parents.
- Attend all five sessions of the Confirmation Preparation Course (offered in the Spring/Summer of each year). Topics include: The Power of the Holy Spirit, The Holy Spirit in Scripture, Moved to Mission, The Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit and The Rite of Confirmation.
- Attend the Discovery Retreat after preparation classes are completed (offered in the Summer).
- Faith Conversation formal meeting #2 for Candidate and Sponsor/Parent – generally held in late summer/early fall before the sacrament if administered by the Bishop.
- Rehearsal and Ceremony (held each Fall) with a Bishop presiding.
***Family and Sponsor Guidebooks will be given out to families at the Opening Session with additional information.
Religious Education Secretary Grades 6-12
Youth & Young Adult Ministry Director