August 6, 2021 | Weekly Update
God Loves You
Whether you’ve already started coming back to Mass or not, we hope these reasons will inspire you and your friends and family.
Why should you come back to Mass? Because the God of the universe loves YOU!
Just as lovers can’t stand to be apart from one another and we rejoice when families are reunited after travel or military deployments, God physically longs to be close to us and for us to be embraced by Him.
We don’t believe in an impersonal or indifferent God. The Mass is a physical encounter with Christ who gave us Himself as bread to eat—His physical presence—because He wants to be ONE with us.
Listen to this short 3-minute message on the Flocknote email from Jackie Angel on why the Mass is so important because God wants to see you face-to-face. (Jackie Angel is a musician, wife and mother, and Fellow at the Word on Fire Institute.)
“Jesus awaits us in this sacrament of love.”
—Pope John Paul II
God’s longing for you to come home! Rediscover the love of God at Mass this weekend.
We look forward to seeing you at any of the Holy Mass times this weekend where Father Don is preaching or stop by to visit Jesus at Blessed Sacrament Chapel or at daily Mass during the week.
THIS COMING WEEK
- Please proceed here for registration and details for taking part in the K-5, EDGE, and LIGHT programs.
- Do you have questions or would like to find out more about the exciting new offerings for the parents and children? Come out to the town hall meeting on Sunday 8/8 at 11am.
- Training will be offered for altar servers on Sunday, August 8, 15 or 22 from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm in the church. OLM has not used altar servers for the last sixteen months due to Covid. Altar servers will be reinstated in September.
Anyone wishing to return or begin as an altar server must attend one of these training sessions. If you feel called to this very important liturgical ministry, please contact Pat Heraty at email@example.com.
Any student entering 5th grade or above is welcome to join the ministry of altar serving.
8th graders and up who have previously been an altar servers are welcome to apply to become Senior Servers. Simply attend the above training sessions to apply.
- Come out on Tuesday 8/10th @ 7pm in the PLC, especially if any of the following is something you’ve been wrestling with: BATTLING UNWORTHINESS, DISCERNING GOD’S WILL, WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY LIFE?
- Father Steven Borello will expound these further and how a vocation is more than just figuring out whether we’re called to married life or religious life, how it’s about more than just finding out what we like to do.
Don’t forget to bring your friend, co-worker, neighbor, family, or young adult in your life that could benefit from hearing from Father Steve; share this invite with them.
- Here are shareable invites
A note on Reception of Holy Communion
- Communion on the hand is still the preferable option.
- Communion on the tongue is allowed at the pastor’s discretion. At our parish, only the priests/deacons will distribute communion on the tongue. The extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion will not distribute communion on the tongue. To receive communion on the tongue, you must go to one of the lines where a priest or deacon is distributing.
- For those concerned about receiving communion on the hand following someone who just received communion on the tongue, please note that the priest/deacon has a cloth in their hand treated with hand sanitizer. After a person receives communion on the tongue, the priest/deacon wipes their fingers on this cloth, reducing the possibility of transmission of viruses. If one is still uncomfortable, please receive communion from one of the extraordinary communion ministers instead of the priest/deacon.
- So it was a very interesting AMA with Father James last month; from answering why he doesn’t practice Yoga (and doesn’t recommend it at all), to the seriousness of venial sins and how often does Father Don and he receives emergency calls.
- Catch the most recent episode at this link as well as submit questions you may have.
- Tune in on Thursday 8/19th @ 7pm.
- The Biblical Institute of the Diocese of Joliet (BIDJ) is for everyone who wants in-depth study of the Bible and prayerful reflection on Scripture within a Catholic faith community and with graduate-level instructors.
- A brand new option is offering the class online!
- There is also an on-site class here at Our Lady of Mercy this fall.
- Bring your questions and check out the following previews
- 8/19th Online from 7pm to 8:30pm, please register ahead of time here to receive the zoom link.
- 8/28th In-person in Room 217 @ 9am (no registration required)
- For further questions and details check out the diocesan website at this link or call 815-221-6147
- Who will you invite to the OLM block party held on 8/20, 8/21, and 8/22. Here is what is in the works.
- Friday 8/20 Outdoor Movie Night at dusk
- Parking lot opens up at 7pm. The movie starts at sunset estimated at 7:45pm
- Please bring your folding chairs, lawn blankets, and dinner! Oh and bug spray! Think Ravinia style set-up/gathering.
- There will be a popcorn stand and a cotton candy stands for the children.
- Saturday 8/21 Food Trucks and Concert after the 4pm Mass
- Please bring your folding chairs, lawn blanket, and bug spray. Think Ravinia style set-up/gathering.
- Sunday 8/22 Ministry Expo with Cookies & Donuts while you check out the Ministries and Groups at Our Lady of Mercy! See how our parish can be here for you spiritually, physically, and mentally.
- Friday 8/20 Outdoor Movie Night at dusk
- Check out the Block Party page at this link.
- In the summer of 2014, Father Don traveled to the small village of Duchity in the mountains of southwest Haiti. It was there that he met Ertha Papillon, a leader in her faith community of Ste. Marie-Madeleine. Ertha is the founder and director of an orphanage and an elementary school. She has dedicated her life to serving the poorest of the poor in the countryside near Duchity.
- Ertha will return Father Don’s visit and will speak at all the Masses. She will share her story and the story of the people she serves.
- A collection will be taken to benefit the orphanage and the school.
- Checks can be made out to “Our Lady of Mercy” with “Haiti-Ertha” in the memo.
- Donations can also be made online from the Our Lady of Mercy website on this link.
- A promise from Ertha: “I am happy to visit you. We are all God’s children. Please pray for me and the children of Haiti and I will pray for you.”
- Our monthly MAGNIFY praise and worship adoration is on Weds 8/25th @ 7pm. Save the date.
- Keep an eye out for the social media posting so you can share the notification on your accounts; you never know who on your network of friends is in need of food. It will be from 5pm to 6:30pm Weds 8/25th.
- Registration has begun for Fall Alpha, beginning September 16th! The goal of Alpha is to grow in our personal relationship with Jesus, if you have not been through Alpha, or if you’d like to do it again, and most importantly if there is someone in your life that you could invite to Alpha, we encourage you to invite them, and come to Alpha! Starts with an awesome free meal, video, and small groups. #Food #fellowship #faith #friendships, and a babysitting option if you need it.
- Various pathways this fall are In-person, Online, Spanish, Young Adults, and Family Alpha. Check out the details and registration at this link.
- Be encouraged and hear about reasons for coming to Alpha, hear from Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, Doctor Mary Healy, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, Father Mike Schmitz, and Father James Mallon.
- Or are you a Catholic seeking to enrich your faith by completing the sacraments of initiation?
- How exciting! Let’s chat connect with firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Or for more information on RCIA please proceed to this link.
- A mother and baby need your help! Can you help buy some essential items for a mom and baby?
A mom seeking an abortion in Downers Grove has chosen life! A sidewalk advocate has been walking with her every step of the way, but this brave mama needs your help. Please proceed to this link to see how you can help.
Cardinal DiNardo is urging all Catholics to join him in reaching out to the U.S. Congress today. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has created a petition for Catholics, asking Congress to maintain the Hyde Amendment and similar provisions for the current budget. This petition can be found here.
- You can also check it out at the MINISTRY EXPO that is part of the three-day OLM Block Party Event on Sunday 8/22nd after all the Mass Times.
Don’t Get Scammed by Fake Fathers!
- Did you get an email or a text message from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin article located here.
For the Hispanic Community
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry’s upcoming events and resources.Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
A Note from the Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- How can we be praying for you today? There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- Prayer Ministry after all Mass times 8/28 & 8/29
Come forward after Mass by yourself, or with your family, friends, spouse, or in the place of someone you know who needs prayer. Prayer ministry is for all those in need of prayer, be it for spiritual, physical or emotional need or thankful praise.
Have you downloaded our myParish App yet?
- If you haven’t done so, we encourage you to download the Our Lady of Mercy app available to download for iPhone and Android smart phones. Or text APP to 88202 to download.
- Stay connected with our parish throughout the week with instant notifications, an easy-to-access event calendar, and the ability to quickly reply to or share messages via Facebook or Twitter. Also enjoy a bunch of additional features like prayers, daily readings, helpful reminders to silence your phone before Mass or Confession, and much more.
Grow Groups | We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Mission. This group exists to grow a community that inspires and forms the young adult generation to be saints.
Website. Proceed here for details.
Meets. Tuesdays @ 7pm and every two weeks for social gatherings.
Connect. Reach out to Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy email@example.com
See what they have been up to at this video.
Mission. Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
Website. Proceed here for details
Meets. Wednesdays @ 7pm with social gatherings.
Connect. The group leaders are looking forward to hearing from you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to them.
Kim Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary LoGalbo email@example.com
John Frederick firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Marks email@example.com
Check out the video to find out more about Vine and Branches
GROW YOUR FAITH
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
- Dr. Greg & Lisa Popcak
- Dr. Greg Bottaro
- Dr. Monique Ruberu
- Dr. Edward & Beth Sri
- Dr. Christopher & Wendy West
- Dr. Bob Schuchts
- Dr. Mario Sacasa
- Fr. Tim Gallagher
- Chris Stefanick
- Matt & Jenn Lozano
- Byron & Francine Pirola
- Nathan & Dr. Sarah Bartel
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives and the great Feast of Corpus Christi.
WORD ON FIRE
Did you know that you have complete access to Bishop Barron’s Word on Fire ENGAGE video library! Check out this linkto watch any of the videos whenever you want without ever having to login.
Not sure where to start? How about the episode of the Pivotal Players series of St. Ignatius of Loyola which covers Ignatius’ journey from a courageous and celebrated warrior to a passionate servant of Christ, and the influence he effected through the establishment of the Jesuit order and through his masterpiece, “The Spiritual Exercises.”
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all-new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream-on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on the go.
Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
AQUINAS 101 FREE COURSES
Have you wanted to get to know St. Thomas Aquinas and his writings more so as to grow closer to Jesus?
Sign up for any of the short and free courses at Aquinas 101 a project of the Thomistic Institute that seeks to promote understanding of the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, the eminent 13th-century philosopher and theologian.
Aquinas is a masterful interpreter of reality. His writings assist us in answering perennial questions on topics like God, man, the natural world, law, and morality, and questions of special relevance to our time like the relationship between modern science and faith or pursuing happiness in the digital era.
Each Aquinas 101 video walks viewers through a different theme in just a few minutes. On Aquinas101.com, you’ll also find short readings and podcast lectures accompanying each video. We encourage you to enroll in a course to receive full lessons in your email inbox or browse the lessons at your own pace. Please help them spread the light of truth by sharing these videos with your friends and family — because it matters what you think!
PINTS WITH AQUINAS – FREE CONFESSIONS COURSE
Become acquainted with one of the world’s greatest spiritual masterpieces! https://bit.ly/PWA-Confessions
Join Dr. Chad Engelland for a FREE seven-part online course on St. Augustine’s “Confessions.” You’ll learn:
– What finally caused Augustine to leave a life of sin
– Why we find evil so attractive
– The right way to address God