August 14, 2021 | Weekly Update
Our Story Is Real
Whether you’ve already started coming back to Mass or not, we hope these reasons will inspire you and your friends and family.
Why should you come back to Mass? Because the story of our faith is REAL!
Jesus historically lived, died, and rose from the dead. The Biblical sites exist and can be visited today. Our story of faith isn’t a myth, legend, or something in a galaxy far, far away.
What’s more, God wants us to take an active role in passing on this reality to others. We’re in the age of evangelization where the Holy Spirit wants us to be fueled by the Word and Eucharist at Mass and then go out to bring this real Jesus to others. And who better to aid us in doing this than our Blessed Mother, Mary. Our Mother, who intercedes for us and cheers us on that we too might participate in this life-giving relationship with Jesus Christ and sharing it with others.
This Sunday is the Solemnity of her Assumption, of when Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heaven — it is the culmination of her faith-filled yes to the angel’s invitation to become the Mother of God. As we celebrate Mary’s faithfulness this Sunday, let’s also think about our own yeses to the Lord, the small ones as well as the big ones.
“Lord, give me the grace to say yes to You in every moment.”
Listen to the short 2-minute message on the Flocknote email from Bobby Angel that details the reality of our Christian story.
We look forward to seeing you at any of the Holy Mass times this weekend or stop by to visit Jesus at Blessed Sacrament Chapel or at daily Mass during the week.
THIS COMING WEEK
- Please proceed here for registration and details for taking part in the K-5, EDGE, and LIGHT programs.
- Training will be offered for altar servers on Sunday, August 15 & 22 from 7pm to 8:30pm in the church. Altar servers will be reinstated in September.
Anyone wishing to return or begin as an altar server must attend one of these training sessions. If you feel called to this very important liturgical ministry, please contact Pat Heraty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any student entering 5th grade or above is welcome to join the ministry of altar serving. 8th graders and up who have previously been an altar servers are welcome to apply to become Senior Servers. Simply attend the above training sessions to apply.
- Communion on the hand is still the preferable option.
- Communion on the tongue is allowed at the pastor’s discretion. At our parish, only the priests/deacons will distribute communion on the tongue. The extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion will not distribute communion on the tongue. To receive communion on the tongue, you must go to one of the lines where a priest or deacon is distributing.
- For those concerned about receiving communion on the hand following someone who just received communion on the tongue, please note that the priest/deacon has a cloth in their hand treated with hand sanitizer. After a person receives communion on the tongue, the priest/deacon wipes their fingers on this cloth, reducing the possibility of transmission of viruses. If one is still uncomfortable, please receive communion from one of the extraordinary communion ministers instead of the priest/deacon.
AMA with Father James Thursday 8/19
- So it was a very interesting AMA with Father James last month; from answering why he doesn’t practice Yoga (and doesn’t recommend it at all), to the seriousness of venial sins and how often does Father Don and he receives emergency calls.
- Catch the most recent episode at this link as well as submit questions you may have.
- Tune in on Thursday 8/19th @ 7pm.
- The Biblical Institute of the Diocese of Joliet (BIDJ) is for everyone who wants in-depth study of the Bible and prayerful reflection on Scripture within a Catholic faith community and with graduate-level instructors.
- A brand new option is offering the class online!
- There is also an on-site class here at Our Lady of Mercy this fall.
- Bring your questions and check out the following previews
- 8/19th Online from 7pm to 8:30pm, please register ahead of time here to receive the zoom link.
- 8/28th In-person in Room 217 @ 9am (no registration required)
- For further questions and details check out the diocesan website at this link or call 815-221-6147
- Who will you invite to the OLM block party held on 8/20, 8/21, and 8/22. Here is what is in the works.
- Friday 8/20 Outdoor Movie Night at dusk
- Parking lot opens up at 7pm. The movie starts at sunset estimated at 7:45pm
- Please bring your folding chairs, lawn blankets, and dinner! Oh and bug spray! Think Ravinia style set-up/gathering.
- There will be a popcorn stand and a cotton candy stands for the children.
- Saturday 8/21 Food Trucks and Concert after the 4pm Mass
- Please bring your folding chairs, lawn blanket, and bug spray. Think Ravinia style set-up/gathering.
- Sunday 8/22 Ministry Expo with Cookies & Donuts while you check out the Ministries and Groups at Our Lady of Mercy! See how our parish can be here for you spiritually, physically, and mentally.
- Friday 8/20 Outdoor Movie Night at dusk
- For more details, check out the Block Party page at this link.
- Interested in helping out with setup? Please connect with Doug McIlvaine at email@example.com or Shirley Staples at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CALLING ALL WOMEN – The Opening Your Heart Women’s Bible Study will begin on Monday, August 23rd @ 6:30pm. There will be an in-person and virtual offering. And if you’re seeing this past 8/23rd, no worries, you can still join!
- Join this women’s Bible Study and journey closer to the heart of God. Bring the women in your life; your mother, a sister, a friend, a daughter, a colleague, anyone – who you feel would like to explore questions, bible verses, personal testimonies to help them grow in their faith, please invite them. There is always a seat available!
- Opening Your Heart is filled with truth and beauty that assists each of us in filling holes in our spiritual foundations so that we have something firm to stand on when life brings us challenges.
- Details and registration are at this link. Or connect with Wendy Jo Burnett email@example.com, she would love to hear from you!
MAGNIFY is on 8/25
- Our monthly MAGNIFY praise and worship adoration is on Weds 8/25th @ 7pm. Save the date.
- Keep an eye out for the social media posting so you can share the notification on your accounts; you never know who on your network of friends is in need of food. It will be from 5pm to 6:30pm Weds 8/25th.
- The Catholic Charities, Diocese of Joliet Mobile Food Pantry delivers healthy food (meat, produce, and non-perishable items) to people in need. No identification or information will be required or collected. This event is open to anyone in need of food!
- Mobile Food Pantries use a “drive-thru” method to distribute food during the
COVID-19 pandemic. Please clear space in your trunk or backseat so volunteers can load boxes of food directly into your vehicle.
- Catholic Charities helps people of all faiths and beliefs.
- Mobile Food Pantries take place rain or shine!
- Registration has begun for Fall Alpha, beginning September 16th! The goal of Alpha is to grow in our personal relationship with Jesus, if you have not been through Alpha, or if you’d like to do it again, and most importantly if there is someone in your life that you could invite to Alpha, we encourage you to invite them, and come to Alpha! Starts with an awesome free meal, video, and small groups. #Food #fellowship #faith #friendships, and a babysitting option if you need it.
- Various pathways this fall are In-person, Online, Spanish, Young Adults, and Family Alpha. Check out the details and registration at this link.
- Be encouraged and hear about reasons for coming to Alpha, hear from Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, Doctor Mary Healy, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, Father Mike Schmitz, and Father James Mallon.
- Or are you a Catholic seeking to enrich your faith by completing the sacraments of initiation?
- How exciting! Let’s chat; connect with firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Or for more information on RCIA please proceed to this link.
- You can also check it out at the MINISTRY EXPO that is part of the three-day OLM Block Party Event on Sunday 8/22nd after all the Mass Times.
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin article located here. He talks about how to help our seminarian Andrew Bogusz. Recall Andrew was with us during the lockdown. He is back living in the rectory. Check out Father Don’s Bulletin article to see how you can help Andrew.
Meet and Support Father Don’s Friend Ertha Papilion from Haiti at the Masses RESCHEDULED to 9/11 and 9/12
- In the summer of 2014, Father Don traveled to the small village of Duchity in the mountains of southwest Haiti. It was there that he met Ertha Papillon, a leader in her faith community of Ste. Marie-Madeleine. Ertha is the founder and director of an orphanage and an elementary school. She has dedicated her life to serving the poorest of the poor in the countryside near Duchity.
- Ertha will return Father Don’s visit and will speak at all the Masses. She will share her story and the story of the people she serves.
- A collection will be taken to benefit the orphanage and the school.
- Checks can be made out to “Our Lady of Mercy” with “Haiti-Ertha” in the memo.
- Donations can also be made online from the Our Lady of Mercy website on this link.
- A promise from Ertha: “I am happy to visit you. We are all God’s children. Please pray for me and the children of Haiti and I will pray for you.”
Don’t Get Scammed by Fake Fathers!
- Did you get an email or a text message from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
For the Hispanic Community
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry’s upcoming events and resources.Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
A Note from the Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- How can we be praying for you today? There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- Prayer Ministry after all Mass times 8/28 & 8/29
Come forward after Mass by yourself, or with your family, friends, spouse, or in the place of someone you know who needs prayer. Prayer ministry is for all those in need of prayer, be it for spiritual, physical or emotional need or thankful praise.
Have you downloaded our myParish App yet?
- If you haven’t done so, we encourage you to download the Our Lady of Mercy app available to download for iPhone and Android smart phones. Or text APP to 88202 to download.
- Stay connected with our parish throughout the week with instant notifications, an easy-to-access event calendar, and the ability to quickly reply to or share messages via Facebook or Twitter. Also enjoy a bunch of additional features like prayers, daily readings, helpful reminders to silence your phone before Mass or Confession, and much more.
Grow Groups | We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
CONSUMING FIRE YOUNG ADULT GROW GROUP
Mission. This group exists to grow a community that inspires and forms the young adult generation to be saints.
Website. Proceed here for details.
Meets. Tuesdays @ 7pm and every two weeks for social gatherings.
Connect. Reach out to Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy email@example.com
See what they have been up to at this video.
Mission. Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
Website. Proceed here for details
Meets. Wednesdays @ 7pm with social gatherings.
Connect. The group leaders are looking forward to hearing from you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to them.
Kim Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary LoGalbo email@example.com
John Frederick firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Marks email@example.com
Check out the video to find out more about Vine and Branches
GROW YOUR FAITH
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
- Dr. Greg & Lisa Popcak [Eight Marriage Friendly Habits]
- Dr. Greg Bottaro [The Art of Making Love]
- Dr. Monique Ruberu [The Science of Making Love]
- Dr. Edward & Beth Sri [How Well Do You Know Your Spouse?]
- Dr. Christopher & Wendy West [The Gift of Making Love]
- Dr. Bob Schuchts [Opening Up Pathways to Emotional Intimacy]
- Dr. Mario Sacasa [The 3 Styles of Attachment]
- Fr. Tim Gallagher [Discernment of Spirits in Marriage]
- Chris Stefanick [The Joy of Making Love]
- Matt & Jenn Lozano [Prayer is the Foundation of Everything]
- Byron & Francine Pirola [Teamwork: We’re in this Together!]
- Nathan & Dr. Sarah Bartel [Dream Together Again!]
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives and the great Feast of Corpus Christi.
WORD ON FIRE
Did you know that you have complete access to Bishop Barron’s Word on Fire ENGAGE video library! Check out this linkto watch any of the videos whenever you want without ever having to login.
Not sure where to start? How about the episode of the Pivotal Players series of St. Ignatius of Loyola which covers Ignatius’ journey from a courageous and celebrated warrior to a passionate servant of Christ, and the influence he effected through the establishment of the Jesuit order and through his masterpiece, “The Spiritual Exercises.”
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all-new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream-on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on the go.
Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
AQUINAS 101 FREE COURSES
Have you wanted to get to know St. Thomas Aquinas and his writings more so as to grow closer to Jesus?
Sign up for any of the short and free courses at Aquinas 101 a project of the Thomistic Institute that seeks to promote understanding of the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, the eminent 13th-century philosopher and theologian.
Aquinas is a masterful interpreter of reality. His writings assist us in answering perennial questions on topics like God, man, the natural world, law, and morality, and questions of special relevance to our time like the relationship between modern science and faith or pursuing happiness in the digital era.
Each Aquinas 101 video walks viewers through a different theme in just a few minutes. On Aquinas101.com, you’ll also find short readings and podcast lectures accompanying each video. We encourage you to enroll in a course to receive full lessons in your email inbox or browse the lessons at your own pace. Please help them spread the light of truth by sharing these videos with your friends and family — because it matters what you think!