July 17, 2021 | Weekly Update
The Church is Our Home
Whether you’ve already started coming back to Mass or not, we hope these reasons will inspire you and your friends and family.
Why should you come back to Mass? Because the Church is your home and we miss you!
The Church is Christ’s mystical body here on earth. While made up of fallen human persons, we are called to be a community that worships together, knows one another, and is present to the needs of our poor. Countries and cultures can ebb and flow, but the Church that Christ established is our anchor in this world.
We invite you to watch this short 3 minute video on the Flocknote email from Joe Zambon, a musician, father, and Fellow at the Word on Fire Institute. on why the Mass is so important and why the Church is your home.
“Like Jesus, do not be afraid to ‘cross’ your city, to go to those who are most forgotten, to those who are hidden behind the branches of shame, of fear, of loneliness, to tell them: ‘God remembers you!’”
God’s longing for you to come home! Rediscover the love of God at Mass this weekend.
We look forward to seeing you this weekend where Deacon Tom Logue is preaching. Please stop by the Welcome Desk to say hello.
THIS COMING WEEK
- Please let us know how you are doing by filling the survey out. We continue to invite and pray that everyone comes back soon, we are also making plans for parish community-wide gatherings in August 20 thru 22 (save the date).To assist us with both of these, we would be most grateful if you can please fill out this quick, anonymous survey (2 minutes tops!) or tomar la encuesta.
- We’ve learned so much through the questions you asked! Thank you for submitting them. Check out the AMA webpage to view the video of Part 2 (and Part 1) of the AMAas well as to submit any more of your “great’ questions! The website also lists out all the questions that Father James answered such as “Why does mass attendance on Sunday matter? Can’t we just go during the week on the day that’s most convenient? What if we have to work on Sunday?”
- The next one will be on Monday 7/19th at 7:30pm as Father James will continue to answer the questions you submitted.
- Monthly Magnify is on 7/21st at 7pm. With the summer season comes swimming, sun, and BBQ. But while summer can bring some much-needed time to slow down our lives and rest, it can also be tempting to take a break from prayer or even attending Mass itself. Rather, let’s come out to Magnify and have that personal contact with the living Jesus. Share your heart with Him to be loved by Him as you are.
- Join Mundelein Seminary for the online presentation of the 2021 Celebration of Mundelein at 7pm, where this year it is honoring the leadership and ministry of Bishop Ronald Hicks ’94 of the Diocese of Joliet and featuring seminarian interviews, musical performances and more!
- Please consider a gift to help the seminary reach the $100k matching goal www.usml.edu/celebrate. Supporting Mundelein Seminary makes it possible for our parishes in our Diocese to form priests to be “formed in tradition, trained in compassion, prepared to shepherd” like Father Mark, Father James and soon to be priest Deacon Tom.
- Please proceed here for registration and details for taking part in the K-5, EDGE, and LIGHT programs.
- Do you have questions or would like to find out more about the exciting new offerings for the parents and children? Save the date and come out to one of the townhall meetings on Wednesday 7/28 at 7pm and Sunday 8/8 at 11am.
- Did you know one of our Aspirational Values is Intentionality of Prayer? Where we dream to be a parish where everyone is committed to a daily prayer life, and our first instinct is to rely and call upon the Holy Spirit in all things we do. (Proceed here to see the rest of our Aspirational Values which also has our Vision, Core Values and Game Plan).
- The Blessed Sacrament chapel is now open for private prayer and devotion. Spend time with Jesus, come by after work, during a lunch break or make visiting Jesus part of your schedule, block it on your calendar. Jesus loves spending time with you. He is the greatest and most intimate friend we can have. He is God and nothing is impossible for Him so come and share your heart with Him. Open daily 8:30am to 9pm (will be unavailable during funeral, wedding, or baptism).
- Pope Francis has established a World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly taking place next weekend. A special blessing at all the Masses will be given to our wonderful grandparents and elderly. In remembrance of your deceased loved ones, please fill out one of the remembrance cards so they will be lifted up in prayer next weekend. For those not able to complete the card in person, please email the names of your loved ones to email@example.com.
- Additionally, Pope Francis has granted a Plenary Indulgence on the occasion of the first World Day of Grandparents and the Elderly, which will be celebrated on Sunday 25 July 2021 on the theme ‘I am with you always’ (Mt 28:20). The Indulgence is granted to grandparents, the elderly and all the faithful who participate “motivated by a true spirit of penance and charity.”
- The St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) truck will be in our parking lot 7/24 and 7/25 for the clothing drive. Pick up one of the SVDP bags to place your donated items. Clear out your closets for a good cause; the items are sold at reasonable prices at thrift shops so needy families can shop with dignity. The sale proceeds from the thrift shops go into a general assistance fund where parishes source help for families needing assistance with rent, mortgage, or utility assistance.
- Register now for one of the Charisms Workshop! You won’t want to miss this…. because wouldn’t you like to know about the gifts, the “charisms” God has given you? To discern—figure out what they are? And what the difference is between your natural talents, spiritual gifts, and the charisms God has gifted you with.
- Discover all these things
- The role of the Holy Spirit in your life
- The charisms you received at Baptism
- How those charisms help you become the disciple God intends you to be
- How charisms transform parishes, communities and the world
- A discernment process that will help you make good spiritual decisions
- That you are a very needed part of the Body of Christ. You were made for more!
Looking forward to “activating” the gifts God has given you!
Catholic Baseball Camp; play baseball with Fr Burke Masters 7/27 – 7/28
- Register at catholicsportscamps.org for the Catholic Baseball Camp for boys and girls ages 8-12. Fee is $150 (scholarships are available).
- Basic to advanced baseball skills and training. Women’s softball/baseball coach for girls. Daily Mass, Rosary, Adoration, Confession.
- Save the dates for the OLM block party held on 8/20, 8/21, and 8/22. Here is what is in the works.
- Friday 8/20 Outdoor Movie Night at dusk
- Saturday 8/21 Food Trucks and Concert after the 4pm Mass
- Sunday 8/22 Get to know our ministries, see how we can better serve you, or check out how you can help others by taking part in some of the ministries.
Don’t Get Scammed by Fake Fathers!
- Did you get an email or a text message from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
- We are looking for an intentional disciple of Jesus who has a heart for the youth, who will be the Associate Director of Family and Youth Evangelization and Catechesis for Grades 6-12. Please lift up in prayer who God is going to send to us and please let others know as well so as to cast the net wide for our search.
- Click here for details.
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin article located here.
Supporting OLM through the CMAA
- Thank you to those who have pledged! We are so close to our parish goal, we are almost there! Help us meet our goal; please support Our Lady of Mercy by supporting the Diocesan Catholic Ministries Annual Appeal (CMAA).
- Father Don and Bishop Hicks are asking us to join them in pledging to the CMAA to help the poor and vulnerable, form our future shepherds, and spread the faith through our Catholic schools, faith formation programs in parishes, and programs for young adults.
- Donations can be made here https://bit.ly/2MOQHVY Check out how your how your gifts to the CMAA helps at this link https://bit.ly/3dd154X. Thank you for your consideration.
For the Hispanic Community
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry’s upcoming events and resources.Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
Stream Team Update
- We continue to (and permanently) livestream the 10am Sunday Mass and Daily week day Mass. For those who are not comfortable attending Mass in the Church, please continue to watch on your mobile device in your vehicle, where Holy Communion will be brought to you at the 10am Mass.
- Parents and middle school kids to high school teens, get broadcasting experience, consider volunteering; we seek creative individuals who are interested in joining our “Stream Team” to help. It is fun, easy, and fulfilling to take part in and you’ll have the love, support, and thankfulness of the Livestream Community. If you are interested or know someone who would enjoy volunteering in this role, please connect with firstname.lastname@example.org
A Note from the Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- How can we be praying for you today?There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
We’re looking for volunteers to join “The Messengers”
- The overall goal of this team is to bring to life through communications our parish vision: to offer every person a life-changing encounter with Jesus, grow disciples and send them on mission. Check out the details at this link. Connect with email@example.com, she would love to chat about the volunteer position over coffee, zoom, or phone call.
Have you downloaded our myParish App yet?
- If you haven’t done so, we encourage you to download the Our Lady of Mercy app available to download for iPhone and Android smart phones. Or text APP to 88202 to download.
- Stay connected with our parish throughout the week with instant notifications, an easy-to-access event calendar, and the ability to quickly reply to or share messages via Facebook or Twitter. Also enjoy a bunch of additional features like prayers, daily readings, helpful reminders to silence your phone before Mass or Confession, and much more.
Grow Groups | We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
CONSUMING FIRE YOUNG ADULT GROW GROUP
Mission. This group exists to grow a community that inspires and forms the young adult generation to be saints.
Website. Proceed here for details.
Meets. Tuesdays @ 7pm and every two weeks for social gatherings.
Connect. Reach out to Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy email@example.com
See what they have been up to at this video.
Mission. Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
Website. Proceed here for details
Meets. Wednesdays @ 7pm with social gatherings.
Connect. The group leaders are looking forward to hearing from you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to them.
Kim Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary LoGalbo email@example.com
John Frederick firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Marks email@example.com
Check out the video to find out more about Vine and Branches
GROW YOUR FAITH
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives and the great Feast of Corpus Christi.
WORD ON FIRE
Did you know that you have complete access to Bishop Barron’s Word on Fire ENGAGE video library! Check out this linkto watch any of the videos whenever you want without ever having to login.
Not sure where to start? How about the episode of the Pivotal Players series of St. Ignatius of Loyola which covers Ignatius’ journey from a courageous and celebrated warrior to a passionate servant of Christ, and the influence he effected through the establishment of the Jesuit order and through his masterpiece, “The Spiritual Exercises.”
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all-new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream-on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on the go.
Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
AQUINAS 101 FREE COURSES
Have you wanted to get to know St. Thomas Aquinas and his writings more so as to grow closer to Jesus?
Sign up for any of the short and free courses at Aquinas 101 a project of the Thomistic Institute that seeks to promote understanding of the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, the eminent 13th-century philosopher and theologian.
Aquinas is a masterful interpreter of reality. His writings assist us in answering perennial questions on topics like God, man, the natural world, law, and morality, and questions of special relevance to our time like the relationship between modern science and faith or pursuing happiness in the digital era.
Each Aquinas 101 video walks viewers through a different theme in just a few minutes. On Aquinas101.com, you’ll also find short readings and podcast lectures accompanying each video. We encourage you to enroll in a course to receive full lessons in your email inbox or browse the lessons at your own pace. Please help them spread the light of truth by sharing these videos with your friends and family — because it matters what you think!
PINTS WITH AQUINAS – FREE CONFESSIONS COURSE
Become acquainted with one of the world’s greatest spiritual masterpieces! https://bit.ly/PWA-Confessions
Join Dr. Chad Engelland for a FREE seven-part online course on St. Augustine’s “Confessions.” You’ll learn:
– What finally caused Augustine to leave a life of sin
– Why we find evil so attractive
– The right way to address God