June 18, 2022 | Parish Update
Walking with Jesus @ the Corpus Christi Procession after the 12pm Mass, the Launch of the National Eucharistic Revival and. . . .
What is the feast of Corpus Christi?
and why it is awesome to take part in the Corpus Christi Procession
“If angels could be jealous of men, they would be so for one reason: Holy Communion.” —Saint Maximilian Kolbe
THIS COMING WEEK
- “Marriage is an act of will that signifies and involves a mutual gift, which unites the spouses and binds them to their eventual souls, with whom they make up a sole family- a domestic church.”- Pope John Paul II
- Last weekend we celebrated the constant exchange of love between the Most Holy Trinity- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Now, as we approach Father’s Day, God is reminding us of the life-giving, self-giving, Trinitarian love to which He has called us as husbands & wives, and fathers & mothers.
- Trinitarian love in marriage requires the love between a husband and wife to be constantly exchanged and poured out for one another. It requires that each of them make a constant gift of themselves as an offering to God by way of love, sacrifice, and service to one another.
- Continue to read this awesome reflection “5 Scripture Verses to Pray for Your Marriage” for Father’s Day at this link.
- Dear Friends,
Many of you know that Father Jim Lennon was called home on May 8 after a long and fruitful life. Father Lennon was so beloved that Joliet city officials in 2006 named the portion of Willow Avenue next to St. Patrick’s Church – his final assignment before retirement in 2006 – “Father Jim Lennon Way.”Father Lennon also happened to write a popular article in June 2019 highlighting the annual Father’s Day Collection for Infirm and Retired Priests. In honor of Father Lennon and the upcoming second collection taking place the weekend of June 19, we are reprinting his article in its entirety (please view it here). Well said, Father Lennon, and thank you.Paz y bien,Most Reverend Ronald A. Hicks, Bishop of Joliet
Please bring back a Baby Bottle for Life due back this weekend 6/18-19
- Thank you to everyone who has taken part in our 2022 Waterleaf Baby Bottles for Life campaign that supports the life-affirming programs and services of the Waterleaf Medical Clinic and their Aspire Education and Resource Center located in Aurora. Don’t forget to return your filled Baby Bottles with you to Mass this weekend!
Healing Hearts Ministry 6/20
- All of us have experienced joys and sorrows, ups and downs, accomplishments and disappointments in our lives. There may have been times that resulted in brokenness or heavy hearts that affect our attitude and way of living. The Open HEARTS Ministry has changed its name to Healing Hearts as it is a ministry for anyone 18 years of age or older who would like to practice self-care for their own health and wellness and would also like to reach out to others to offer healing and hope.
- The next gathering is on Monday, June 20 from 7pm to 8:30pm in Room 218 in the Parish Life Center. If you have questions, need resources or support, or would like to learn more about the ministry, please contact Janice Hurtado Aeppli at 312-217-7872 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All are invited to attend the St. Peregrine Prayer Service on Tuesday, June 21 in the church after the 6:30pm Mass with Deacon Tony Leazzo and Jolene LeRoy RN, Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care.
- St. Peregrine is the patron saint of the sick, especially those experiencing cancer, serious illness or chronic illness. Anyone experiencing physical, emotional, mental or spiritual health concerns would benefit from attending the prayer service. There will be time after the service to venerate the relic of St. Peregrine and pray for your personal needs or intentions.
- All young adults are invited to join the Consuming Fire Young Adult Community. This group meets every Tuesday from 7pm-8:30pm in Room 211. We gather to eat, pray, and ‘do life together’! The gatherings are open to anyone: Catholics, non-Catholics, seekers, and those just curious about Jesus.
- Want more information? Sign up HERE
- Come join our Young Adult Volleyball Team! We play from 6-8pm on Friday evenings in Clarendon Hills. For more info, contact Anna at email@example.com
- Consuming Fire Young Adults ECHO Fundraising in June THANK YOU
- Our Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group will be sending members to the ECHO Retreat June 24 thru 26 in Chicago to dive into St. John Paul II’s Theology of the Body together, all the while growing in authentic community. ECHO is not just an intellectual exercise, but a journey into the heart where we discover the “distant echo” of God’s plan for life and love from the very beginning. Focused on identity, prayer, vocation, relationships, and the Catholic Church’s teachings on human sexuality, participants are invited into a new level of freedom to be the gift that God has called them to be.
- A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who supported the fundraising efforts this past weekend. Our Young Adults are so grateful for your help, and prayerful support. You are making a difference in the lives of our young people!
- Did you miss the second collection and still want to support our young adults? Drop your donation in a marked envelope into the offertory baskets during Mass or donate online through Our Sunday Visitor platform here: https://www.osvhub.com/olmercy/funds and please make a note on the memo that it is for Consuming Fire Young Adult ECHO Retreat. Thank you so very much!
- They are starting a new series called “Sharing Christ” details and registration are found here. See you on Wednesdays at 7pm. The group also gathers socially once a month and also has volunteer gatherings at Feed My Starving Children.
- Not part of any of our Grow Groups? Like Jesus’ disciples, our walk with the Lord today is not one lived in isolation but rather one immersed in community and enriched by authentic friendship with others. Salt & Light Grow Group provides a place of deep transformation where people can be known, loved, and cared for as they strive to deepen their friendship with Jesus and one another.
- Connect with Bob Maxwell our Salt and Light Grow Group Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-962-8464.
- Do you know anyone or are you seeking answers about the Catholic annulment process after having gone through the pain of divorce?
- Perhaps you or someone you know have gotten divorced and have not gone through annulment? Come to the book study at Vines & Branches Grow Group where you will go through “Mending the Heart: a Catholic Annulment Companion” by Lisa Duffy. Meets on Wednesdays at 7pm, please register here
- Calling all women; need some girl time? Join us at the “Summer Girl’s Night Out Undone Book Study” gathering once a month for the next four months. With good food and good discussions with good friends on a summer weeknight @ 6:30pm at four unique local establishments; we hope you are able to make it. GNO dates are Thurs 6/23 @ Francesca’s Passaggio on Route 59, Weds 7/10@ Quigley’s Irish Pub in downtown Naperville, Weds 8/10 @ Altiro Latin Fusion in downtown Aurora and Weds 9/14 @ Minghin Chinese Dim Sum in Naperville.
- Registration and further details are found HERE.
- Undone: Freeing your Feminine Heart from the Knots of Fear and Shame by Carrie Schuchts Daunt is a book with a collection of raw and redemptive testimonies from Catholic women such as Lisa Brenninkmeyer and Jen Settle which offers an opportunity to discover what is true and what is healing in areas where we may have struggled in our identities as a daughter, sister, bride, and mother.
Purchase the book now and read one chapter (part) before each gathering. Here are links to the book at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, or at the JPII Healing Center site
- Mary’s Squad workouts on Saturday mornings at 8:30am is now in-person.
- Workout details are: stretch and strengthening mat workout while we pray the rosary. Concludes with 10 minutes of meditative silent prayer followed by group prayer intentions.
- On some Saturday mornings, a certified SoulCore instructor (Kiley Tyler) will lead a SoulCore workout (check out this video to find out what it is); a much better and safe alternative to yoga.
- Please reach out and Juanita Pacheco email@example.com one of the leads and let them know you will be joining them; they are looking forward to welcoming you.
Farewell to Father Don at his last Weekend Masses on 6/25-26
- It’s hard to believe Father Don’s last weekend at OLM is upon us. We are so very grateful and blessed to have had Father Don with us as our pastor for the past 5 years. There will be a cake and refreshment reception for Father Don, please stop by after any of the Mass times next weekend to say goodbye, and express our love and gratitude.
- Farewell Retirement Gift for Father Don
- Were you thinking of getting Father Don a farewell retirement gift? We’ve put together a GoFundMe Farewell Retirement Gift page that could go towards creating an altar area for his retirement condo unit, a wine fridge, and since he decided on not retiring permanently to California anymore because of his many friends and connections here and also his health issues (as he wrote in his Bulletin on 5/22), this monetary gift is also for trips to his favorite place in California during the winter and also help cover unexpected expenses from his health issues.
- Here is the link to the GoFundMe Farewell Retirement Gift page or click on the graphic below.
- Prayer ministry is an opportunity for those in need of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing or with a specific intention. Come as an individual, as a couple, or as. a family and receive prayer for yourself or request prayers for someone in need. Listen and receive the prayers while being open to the Holy Spirit’s movement. Trained prayer ministers are available.
- If you are experiencing grief and would like to join others for a time of sharing stories, tears and laughter, prayer, and moving forward in hope – please come on Monday, June 27 from 11am to 1pm in the Ministry Room located in the church. There is no registration. This is an opportunity to receive support and understanding during your grief journey. If you have questions, please call Jolene LeRoy RN Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care at 331-707-5380.
- “Wait what?” you’re probably wondering. Father James actually spoke about this in one of his AMA segments. Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group is hosting Kiley Tyler Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Exercise Science at Loyola University Chicago and is also a certified SoulCore instructor where she will speak about why Yoga is harmful and what you can do instead.
- Come hear the talk on Tuesday 6/28th @ 7pm. Bring everyone you know who does Yoga to the talk.
- Let’s continue to learn together as Father James answers your questions. The next livestreamed AMA will be on Tuesday 6/28th. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get the notification when it is live.
- Submit your questions at this link.
- Monthly Magnify is on Wednesday 6/29th when we host a night of adoration in the church with praise and worship by Josh Goodman to supplement that encounter with Jesus. Father James will be hearing confessions after his scriptural reflection up through Benediction. There is also prayer ministry. As a side note, this will be Father James’ last Magnify for Father Michael will be leading us at Magnify starting in July.
- We pray that you come and spend time in prayer with Jesus, encountering Him in a special way. He is personally inviting you to come and share your heart with Him. Join us anytime from 7pm — 8:30pm in the Church. Don’t forget to bring the children, neighbors, and friends.
- The St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) truck will be in our parking lot on 7/26 and 7/24 for the clothing drive. Pick up one of the SVDP bags to place your donated items.
- Clear out your closets for a good cause and repurpose the following items by donating them to St. Vincent De Paul. Your donated items are sold at reasonable prices at thrift shops so needy families can shop with dignity. The sale proceeds from the thrift shops go into a general assistance fund where parishes source help for families needing assistance with rent, mortgage, or utility assistance.
Catholic Baseball Camp 7/25 thru 7/26
- Come Play Baseball with Father Burke Masters! Join the Catholic Sports Summer Camp from 7/25-7/26 at Montini High School. Open to boys and girls ages 8—12. This camp includes baseball skills & training, daily Mass, rosary, adoration, and confession.
- Cost is $150, but scholarships are available. Register now at catholicsportscamps.org
- Discover that trusting Jesus pulls kids through life’s ups and downs. Each day at Monumental VBS, participants trek through fun and engaging rotations that reinforce relevant Bible Points and immerse kids in new adventures. They will sing, dance, experience living Bible stories firsthand, meet a new saint each day, play high-energy games, make new friends, and explore Bible points with hands-on crafts!
- VBS will take place August 1st-5th from 9am thru 12pm/Noon. Friday will include a closing family picnic. More information and registration details can be found here.
- Only 100 spots are available so please register soon.
- Do not spend another fall, winter, and spring cooped up in your home!!! Come out and join the OLM Mixed Bowling League. You need not be a good bowler. You only need to come out and enjoy some safe time out with fellow parishioners for one Friday a month. If you have thought about joining a league, now is the time to give it a try. There are 4 players to a team, but we will build a team for <4 players who wish to join. Fees are $17/person per month.
- The league will be one Friday/month from August through May, skipping December. If you have questions and/or would like to join the league, please give Dan Panozzo a call at 815- 302-4111 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come on out and join the fun!
Undone Freedom for the Feminine Heart 9/22 thru 9/24
- Save the Date for the Women’s Conference from John Paull II Healing Center – Undone – Freedom for the Feminine Heart taking place here at Our Lady of Mercy from Thursday 9/22 through Saturday 9/24. Registration opens 6/27th.
- Do you desire to dive deeper into the freedom that you were created for? Do you feel restricted and bound by the knots of sin and shame that conceal the profound beauty of your feminine heart?
Ladies, immerse yourself in a three-day conference of truth and transformation as the knots of Eve, in us, are undone by Mary’s example of radical receptivity. Through a series of talks, teachings, and prayer experiences, you will be invited to become Undone in God’s presence while deeply receiving the truth of your authentic identity. Let your friends know to save these dates as well, you won’t want to miss this conference.
- The Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group is looking to join the Joliet Diocese on a Pilgrimage to Lisbon, Portugal for World Youth Day 2023 from July 29 to August 7. Come and join them! This includes an optional pre-tour to Madrid from July 25 to 29. Proceed here for further details.
Bishop Hick’s Monthly Column on Eucharistic Revival
- In his June column, Bishop Hicks writes about the three-year National Eucharistic Revival, which begins Sunday, June 19, when we celebrate the Feast of Corpus Christi. Read it HERE
Do you have a story to share of your time with Jesus in the Eucharist?
- In the Eucharist, Jesus wants to remind you that you are never alone, that He is with you. In your brokenness, sorrows, and frustrations, He is with you. In everything you face—when you’re tired, ready to give up, hanging on by a thread, Jesus says to you, “I AM HERE.”
- If you have experienced the above with Jesus, we invite you to share your story so as to inspire others to spend time with Jesus in the Eucharist, and to go to Holy Mass. Allow your story to be the vessel that can reach that person who Jesus is drawing to Himself more closely, especially those who are going through a tough time right now. Let us take part in the National Eucharistic Revival in a tangible way; come and share your story of your encounter with Jesus in the Eucharist. Connect with email@example.com to share your encounter.
Family Faith Formation Office is Hiring
- Coordinator of Family & Youth Evangelization & Catechesis for Grades 6-12 Youth Ministry – LIGHT & EDGE
We are seeking a part-time Coordinator for Family and Youth Catechesis and Evangelization for Grades 6-12. The Coordinator will work with a ministry team to develop and grow disciples for Christ and send them on mission. The primary focus will be spent working with high school and middle school teens and their families in a variety of ministry settings. An applicant must have experience in youth or family ministry, have a Bachelor’s Degree in Religious Studies, or Pastoral Ministry or a related field and must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing, and must know, profess and act consistently in accordance with the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic Church, and with the mission, philosophy, objectives, and policies of the Diocese of Joliet. The position is 28 hours a week with no benefits.Please submit a resume to Dave Miserendino via email at DaveM@olmercy.com.
- Do you have a green thumb? Or perhaps you like gardening and are good at caring for plants? Connect with the Justice & Peace Ministry, which is planning a Community Garden at Our Lady of Mercy. Produce from the Community Garden will be given to local organizations such as Hesed House and local food pantries. Please contact Ida at 630-605-6038 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris at 631-561-9722 or email@example.com. They will be forming a committee to organize and care for the community garden.
Did You Know We Have a Parish School?
- All Saints Catholic Academy (ASCA) located at 1155 Aurora Ave, Naperville is our parish school!
- Are you a parent with preschool, elementary, and middle school-aged children struggling with the antithetical Christian values the government schools are indoctrinating the children who attend the government schools? You’re not alone.
- Join a growing number of OLM parents who have made the movement! Consider connecting with some of the families who have made the move from sending their child(ren) to public school to All Saints Catholic Academy.
- Connect with Patty Bajek at (630) 961-6125, or firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest and schedule a personalized tour. Or peruse their website to explore your interest.
- Thank you for your support of our clothing drive. Your clothing donation, as well as your financial donations throughout the year, allows us to help our parishioners and neighbors in need. In the last quarter of 2021, we provided assistance to 35 people/families.
- The ministry is always looking for volunteers to join our St. Vincent de Paul Society in assisting our neighbors in need. If you would like to volunteer or learn more, send an email to email@example.com with your name and contact information.
- A guest writer for Father Don’s weekly Bulletin article is Father James this weekend, read his wise thoughts regarding the Feast of Corpus Christi located here.
- Did you get an email or a text message from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
- Thank you so much to those who have pledged! Once we have reached our goal in paid pledges, 70% of the additional funds received will be returned to our parish.
- Father Don and Bishop Hicks are asking us to join them in pledging to the CMAA to help the poor and vulnerable, form our future shepherds, and spread the faith through our Catholic schools, faith formation programs in parishes, and programs for young adults.
- Donations can be made here Check out how your gifts to the CMAA help at this link. Thank you for your consideration.
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry’s upcoming events and resources.
Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.
A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
- How can we be praying for you today?
There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- Prayer Ministry takes place monthly at MAGNIFY and on the last weekend of the month Mass times. Prayer ministry is an opportunity for those in need of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing or with a specific intention. Come as an individual, as a couple, or as. a family and receive prayer for yourself or request prayers for someone in need. Listen and receive the prayers while being open to the Holy Spirit’s movement. Trained prayer ministers are available.
- If you haven’t done so, we encourage you to download the Our Lady of Mercy app available to download for iPhone and Android smartphones. Or text APP to 88202 to download.
- Stay connected with our parish throughout the week with instant notifications, an easy-to-access event calendar, and the ability to quickly reply to or share messages via Facebook or Twitter. Also enjoy a bunch of additional features like prayers, daily readings, helpful reminders to silence your phone before Mass or Confession, and much more.
- Our online giving link has been updated by our provider (OSV), please be sure to update your bookmark, below is the link.
- The myParish App “Giving” button has been updated. Don’t have the myParish App yet? Text APP to 88202 to download! Receive this update, instant news, and get access to the parish calendar, daily readings, and Confession guide among a plethora of things.
Grow Groups | We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
World Youth Day 2023. The Consuming Fire Young Adult Grow Group is looking to join the Joliet Diocese on a Pilgrimage to Lisbon, Portugal for World Youth Day 2023 from July 29 to August 7. This includes an optional pre-tour to Madrid from July 25 to 29. Proceed here for further details.
SALT AND LIGHT GROW GROUP
Mission. “Encounter/Grow/Witness” is the threefold dimension of the Christian life. Once we encounter Jesus, we are then called to grow daily as His disciples. Grow Groups are one way Our Lady of Mercy is responding to our missionary identity where we are called to help parishioners grow continually in discipleship.
GROW YOUR FAITH
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives.
From Augustine Institute comes this NEW AND FREE Catholic prayer app that inspires your daily conversation with God through faithful meditations and nourishing Scripture. There is also Family Content: Enjoy and share family-favorite audio from the series Brother Francis and the Jesus Stories. Please enjoy this latest offering from the Augustine Institute.
Hallow is a Catholic prayer & meditation app that helps users deepen their relationship with God through contemplative prayer and strengthen one’s mental health in the process. Easy-to-use, audio-guided sessions anywhere from 1 to 60 minutes long. Pray your own way with a personalized prayer plan pulling from 3,000+ unique sessions including the Lectio Divina on the Daily Gospel, Rosary, Examen, Night Prayer, Calm & Humility “Praylists” and much more. Hallow Light is free. Hallow Plus is $5 per month ($60 per year). Sign up for either one here.
WORD ON FIRE
Did you know that you have complete access to Bishop Barron’s Word on Fire ENGAGE video library! Check out this link to watch any of the videos whenever you want without ever having to login.
Not sure where to start? How about checking out the short 5 episode series on The Eucharist This fresh look at the Eucharist brings to light its reality as sacred meal, the sacrifice necessary for communion with God, and the real presence of Christ.
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all-new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream-on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on the go. Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
Have you wanted to get to know St. Thomas Aquinas and his writings more so as to grow closer to Jesus?
Sign up for any of the short and free courses at Aquinas 101 a project of the
Thomistic Institute seeks to promote understanding of the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, the eminent 13th-century philosopher, and theologian.
Aquinas is a masterful interpreter of reality. His writings assist us in answering perennial questions on topics like God, man, the natural world, law, and morality, and questions of special relevance to our time like the relationship between modern science and faith or pursuing happiness in the digital era.
If you have physical, mental, emotional or spiritual health concerns or questions about end-of-life issues, funeral planning, journeying through grief, caregiving for a loved one or are homebound, please contact Jolene LeRoy RN Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care for support and resources at email@example.com or 331-707-5380.
HEALING HEARTS MINISTRY
All of us have experienced joys and sorrows, ups and downs, accomplishments and disappointments in our lives. There may have been times that resulted in brokenness or heavy hearts that affect our attitude and way of living. The Open HEARTS Ministry has changed its name to Healing Hearts as it is a ministry for anyone 18 years of age or older who would like to practice self-care for their own health and wellness and would also like to reach out to others to offer healing and hope.
If you are in need of emotional or mental health support or resources, please contact Janice Hurtado Aeppli at 321-217- 7872 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you find yourself struggling in overcoming your battle with pornography? Restore is a weekly (anonymous) meeting where men lean on each other for support and accountability and share ideas as to how to strengthen our resolve to stay on God’s path of chastity. All men are welcome, whether you have been free of pornography addiction for many years or struggle with it every single day.
If you are ready to start breaking free from the grips of pornography and want to Restore your life email us at Restore.email@example.com to find out more information on when and where we meet.
GRIEF SUPPORT MINISTRY
If you are experiencing grief and would like to join others for a time of sharing stories, tears and laughter, prayer, and moving forward in hope – please come on Monday, June 27 from 11am to 1pm in the Ministry Room located in the church. There is no registration. This is an opportunity to receive support and understanding during your grief journey. If you have questions, please call Jolene LeRoy RN Parish Nurse and Director of Pastoral Care at 331-707-5380.
SAVE THE DATES