September 4, 2021 | Weekly Update
The Deaf Hear and the Mute Speak
Have you ever witnessed miraculous healing? Was it a friend, teammate, family member, or even yourself?
God wants us healed! He wants all of His creation whole again! Signs of healing and wonders would accompany the Messiah, the Old Testament prophets affirmed: the blind would see, the deaf would hear, and the lame would leap! When Jesus began His miraculous healings, many believed that this was indeed the evidence that He was the chosen one, the Son of God.
To prepare our hearts before we go to Holy Mass this weekend and to learn more about how God is offering the gift of healing to us all watch this short video on the Flocknote email.
We look forward to seeing you at any of the Holy Mass times this weekend wherein Father James will be preaching, or stop by to visit Jesus at the Blessed Sacrament Chapel or at daily Mass during the week.
- Updated COVID-19 Guidance Per Governor’s Statewide Mask Mandate
Gov. J.B. Pritzker issued Executive Order 2021-20, which calls for all Illinois residents age two or older to wear a mask while in an indoor public space, effective Monday, August 30.Attendees at Mass and other indoor liturgical celebrations and events will be required to wear a mask, beginning Monday, August 30. All parish and Blanchette Catholic Center employees also must wear a mask in the office when in contact with others. When employees are in their separate workspaces that allow for a distance of at least six feet from others, the mask may be removed.The executive order also contains directives requiring all public and nonpublic school teachers, staff, and volunteers to receive at least the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine within 10 days of the order and to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of the first dose. Those individuals not fully vaccinated within that time frame will be required to undergo at least weekly COVID-19 testing.We are studying the vaccination order regarding school personnel and will provide clarity as soon as possible, along with other COVID-19 guidance updates in response to your questions.
We appreciate and thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
A note on Reception of Holy Communion
- Communion on the hand is still the preferable option.
- Communion on the tongue is allowed at the pastor’s discretion. At our parish, only the priests/deacons will distribute communion on the tongue. The extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion will not distribute communion on the tongue. To receive communion on the tongue, you must go to one of the lines where a priest or deacon is distributing.
- For those concerned about receiving communion on the hand following someone who just received communion on the tongue, please note that the priest/deacon has a cloth in their hand treated with hand sanitizer. After a person receives communion on the tongue, the priest/deacon wipes their fingers on this cloth, reducing the possibility of transmission of viruses. If one is still uncomfortable, please receive communion from one of the extraordinary communion ministers instead of the priest/deacon
THIS COMING WEEK
Labor Day Schedule on Monday 9/6
- Take a few minutes, morning and evening, to give thanks to God for a restful night’s sleep. Seek his blessings throughout the day and thank God in the evening for all that’s taken place that day. Make an examination of conscience and look for areas where you can improve.
- Pray at meals, or while driving in the car
- Pray the rosary as a family, spend time with Jesus visit Him at the Blessed Sacrament chapel, or pray another type of devotion.
- Attend Mass, or if unable to attend in person, watch Mass online.
- The Parish Office will be closed
- Mass will be at 9am
- There will be no Eucharistic Adoration
- There will be Spanish Mass at 6:30pm
- PADS will be on Tuesday 9/7 to help our brothers and sisters in need. Check out the PADS board in the Atrium (the entrance to our building) for the food items needed. We are also thankful for any funds donated via the Give page or checks payable to Our Lady of Mercy and note on the memo “Hesed House-PADS”. Thank you so much for your generosity.
‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’— Matthew 25:40
- Attend the 12pm Mass for the Nativity of our most wonderful mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Here are several ways to celebrate her
Memorial of St. Peter Claver 9/9
- To continue the work of addressing the sin of racism, Father Don encourages you to participate in a bi-lingual prayer service “Stations of the Cross: Overcoming Racism” which will be held on the memorial of St. Peter Claver, Thursday, September 9 at 6:30pm. The service will be held at our outdoor Stations of the Cross on the west side of church. In the event of rain, it will be indoors.
- People in our day suffer unjustly simply because of the color of their skin or their national origin. Let us acknowledge the sin of racism and work to combat it in our social structures, our institutions, and our hearts!
- Check out Father Don’s bulletin article on who and why we are having this prayer service on the memorial of St. Peter Claver.
- The EDGE Middle School Ministry is looking for adults to help with the EDGE Night program this year for our 6th, 7th and 8th graders. EDGE meets twice a month on Monday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm in the PLC and has large and small group activities planned. If you are a parent, college student, single person, or a senior citizen; then you may be the right person to help with this vital ministry in the parish! Please contact Dave in the Family & Youth Office with questions or if you would like to help.
- In the summer of 2014, Father Don traveled to the small village of Duchity in the mountains of southwest Haiti. It was there that he met Ertha Papillon, a leader in her faith community of Ste. Marie-Madeleine. Ertha is the founder and director of an orphanage and an elementary school. She has dedicated her life to serving the poorest of the poor in the countryside near Duchity.
- Ertha will return Father Don’s visit and will speak at all the Masses. She will share her story and the story of the people she serves.
- This Mission Appeal is going to be on September 11/12th.
- A collection will be taken to benefit the orphanage and the school.
- Checks can be made out to “Our Lady of Mercy” with “Haiti-Ertha” in the memo.
- Donations can also be made online from the Our Lady of Mercy website on this link.
- A promise from Ertha: “I am happy to visit you. We are all God’s children. Please pray for me and the children of Haiti and I will pray for you.”
- High School teens (Grades 9-12) at OLM are asked to attend Youth Alpha as they think about their decision to prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation. Alpha is a series of sessions exploring the basics of the Christian faith. Run over 10 weeks, each session looks at a different question that teens can have about faith and is designed to create conversation. Alpha is a safe, non-judgmental, friendly, and welcoming space to explore life’s big questions together. Join us for an engaging video talk and small group conversation. Sign-up and get more information on Youth Alpha here:https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b094facab2aaa8-youth.
- Youth Alpha needs Teens or Adults who have experienced Alpha in the past to serve as hosts or helpers at our nights. Please prayerfully consider this ministry and contact Dave 331-707-5371 or DaveM@olmercy.com) to volunteer or get more information.
- Alpha is for everyone! Alpha is for the curious – people from different spiritual backgrounds who are searching for God and asking questions about life.
Alpha is also for practicing Christians and Catholics – it is an intense experience that can deepen one’s love for God, the Church, and others. Everyone walks away from Alpha more equipped to have deep conversations with others, no matter what their spiritual background may be.
- Starts with an awesome free meal, live music, video, and small groups. #Food #fellowship #faith #friendships, and a babysitting option if you need it.
- Check out the details and registration at this link; various pathways this fall are In-person, Online, Spanish, Young Adults, and Family Alpha.
- Don’t underestimate what a massive impact a simple invitation can achieve, listen to Max’s story below who didn’t know who Jesus is. On how he went from a despondent young man, lifting at the YMCA and saying yes to a simple invitation…. turned into encountering the life-shaping good news of Jesus that speaks into the deep questions around identity, belonging, and purpose.
Jesus gave Max new life; just like Max, see what Jesus can do in your life, come to Alpha @ OLM…. who will you invite to Alpha this season?
Thinking About Becoming Catholic?
- Or are you a Catholic seeking to enrich your faith by completing the sacraments of initiation?
- How exciting! Let’s chat, connect with firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Or for more information on RCIA please proceed to this link.
- On Saturday, September 18th at 6pm is the Charismatic Healing Mass. A healing Mass is a normal Mass, but it has a special focus on God’s healing power; this will be reflected in the songs, prayers, and scripture readings. If you’re in need of God’s healing grace, come to the Charismatic Healing Mass.
EDGE Nights begin Monday 9/20
- Families with students in grades 6, 7 or 8 are invited to EDGE NIGHTS starting Monday, September 20th! We will meet twice a month on Monday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm in the Parish Life Center. We will have large group activities, games, prayer time, small group faith lessons, and a chance to grow in our Catholic faith with other teens your own age! Check out our EDGE webpage for details and session dates:https://olmercy.com/formation/edge/. Please register online as a family here:https://olmercy.com/family-registration-2021-2022/
- EDGE Nights are also in need of adults and high school teens to help with various small groups and activities throughout the year. Please consider this awesome ministry to get involved with and contact Dave in the Youth & Family Office at 331-707-5371 or DaveM@olmercy.com
- The ministry is planning to meet (in-person and/or via ZOOM) on September 21 in Room 114 from 7pm to 8:30pm. Save the date on your calendar if you would like to join. More details will follow on the focus of the meeting and the direction of the ministry. Ideas and suggestions are welcome. For more information, please contact Allyson and Deacon Tony Martini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Lady of Mercy Respect Life Ministry and 40 Days for Life Aurora invite you to the Mass for Life on September 25, 2021 at 8:30 AM with Fr. James Guarascio as celebrant. Mass is to be followed by a Rosary Procession from our church parking lot to Planned Parenthood Aurora, to kick off the fall campaign of the 40 Days for Life from September 22 to October 31. Please go to 40 Days for Life Aurora website for more details. https://www.40daysforlife.com/en/local-campaigns/aurora/
- We hope to see you there and join us in our efforts to end abortion and to give a prayerful public witness for life!
- Block your calendar for the afternoon and evening of Saturday 10/2nd!
- Starts 5pm (right after the 4pm Mass)
- A variety of food trucks consisting of Mexican and American food vendors.
- Bring your folding chairs, lawn blankets, and bug spray. Think Ravinia style set-up/gathering.
- Bring your families, invite your friends and neighbors!
- If you would like to volunteer, thank you! please connect with Doug McIlvaine at email@example.com
- CALLING ALL WOMEN – The Opening Your Heart Women’s Bible Study is on Monday evenings @ 6:30pm. Both in-person and virtual.
- Join this women’s Bible Study and journey closer to the heart of God. Bring the women in your life; your mother, a sister, a friend, a daughter, a colleague, anyone – who you feel would like to explore questions, bible verses, personal testimonies to help them grow in their faith, please invite them. There is always a seat available!
- Opening Your Heart is filled with truth and beauty that assists each of us in filling holes in our spiritual foundations so that we have something firm to stand on when life brings us challenges.
- Details and registration are at this link. Or connect with Wendy Jo Burnett firstname.lastname@example.org, she would love to hear from you!
- So it was a very interesting AMA with Father James last month; from answering questions on the vaccine to a handful of Mass related questions such as; why is a small part of the host left in the cup?
- Catch the most recent episode or if you have questions you would like Father James to answer, submit them at this link
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin article located here.
- Recall Andrew was with us during the lockdown. He is back living in the rectory. Andrew graduated from college seminary this past spring. It is not unusual for some of our seminarians to take a pastoral year before they continue with their formal education for the priesthood. Our Vocation Director and Andrew discerned that taking a pastoral year would be a benefit to Andrew.
- During this pastoral year, Andrew is to find full-time employment to become more financially independent. Andrew has computer skills and is completing IT certification, so if you know anyone who would be able to provide him with a job for a year, please contact Andrew at: email@example.com or 630.853.3676. While working full-time, Andrew will still be involved in a few ministries such as distributing communion or lecturing. He also plans to be part of our “Consuming Fire” group – our ministry with young adults 18 – 35. OLM has become Andrew’s home, as his parents and siblings moved to Florida over a year ago. We welcome Andrew and support him as he continues to prepare to become a priest.
- Did you get an email or a text message from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
- Please proceed here for the OLM Hispanic Ministry’s upcoming events and resources.
Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.
A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
- How can we be praying for you today?
There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- Prayer Ministry at MAGNIFY 9/22 and after all Mass times 9/25 & 9/26
Come forward after Mass by yourself, or with your family, friends, spouse, or in the place of someone you know who needs prayer. Prayer ministry is for all those in need of prayer, be it for spiritual, physical or emotional need or thankful praise.
- If you haven’t done so, we encourage you to download the Our Lady of Mercy app available to download for iPhone and Android smartphones. Or text APP to 88202 to download.
- Stay connected with our parish throughout the week with instant notifications, an easy-to-access event calendar, and the ability to quickly reply to or share messages via Facebook or Twitter. Also enjoy a bunch of additional features like prayers, daily readings, helpful reminders to silence your phone before Mass or Confession, and much more.
Grow Groups | We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Mission. This group exists to grow a community that inspires and forms the young adult generation to be saints.
Website. Proceed here for details.
Meets. Tuesdays @ 7pm and every two weeks for social gatherings.
Connect. Reach out to Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy email@example.com
See what they have been up to at this video.
Mission. Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
Website. Proceed here for details
Meets. Wednesdays @ 7pm with social gatherings.
Connect. The group leaders are looking forward to hearing from you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to them.
Kim Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary LoGalbo email@example.com
John Frederick firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Marks email@example.com
Check out the video to find out more about Vine and Branches
GROW YOUR FAITH
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES In this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
FREE RECLAIMING FAITH AND FAMILY VIRTUAL CATHOLIC CONFERENCE 9/17 through 9/19
Learn to overcome the challenges of evangelizing those closest to you.
The Reclaiming Faith and Family conference is about helping you to enter into relationships and dialogue with those who are away from Christ and/or the Church, without losing your own peace in the process–starting with those closest to you.
Check out the following Conference Presenters
- Jackie Francois Angel
- Mark Brumley
- Pete Burak
- Josh and Lisa Canning
- Fr. Martin Connor, LC
- Jared Dees
- Cathy Duffy
- Tim Glemkowski
- Dr. Ryan Hanning
- Mark Hart
- Trent Horn
- Dr. Coleen Kelly Mast
- Dr. Peter Kreeft
- Marcel LeJeune
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Curtis Martin
- Ralph Martin
- Hector Molina
- Fr. Michael Nixon
- Fr. Jorge Obregon, LC
- Justin Reyes
- Steve Ray
- Fr. Larry Richards
- Theresa Rickard
- Jennifer Ristine
- Steven Rummelsburg
- John Sablan
- Andrew Swafford
- Dr. Kevin Vost
- Joan Watson
- Sherry Weddell
- Krista Wilertz
- Susan Windley-Daoust
Diving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
Check out our “Eucharist Resources” page to help us understand deeply the centrality of the Eucharist in our lives and the great Feast of Corpus Christi.
WORD ON FIRE
Did you know that you have complete access to Bishop Barron’s Word on Fire ENGAGE video library! Check out this linkto watch any of the videos whenever you want without ever having to login.
Not sure where to start? How about the episode of the Pivotal Players series of St. Ignatius of Loyola which covers Ignatius’ journey from a courageous and celebrated warrior to a passionate servant of Christ, and the influence he effected through the establishment of the Jesuit order and through his masterpiece, “The Spiritual Exercises.”
Looking for authentically Catholic content for men? Look no further than HeroicMen.com—the all-new, 100% FREE Catholic streaming platform for men.
Learn about your faith from today’s best Catholic speakers—and do it all from the convenience of home. Stream-on-demand from your phone or tablet, too, for quality Catholic content on the go.
Get it all—for FREE – at HeroicMen.com
AQUINAS 101 FREE COURSES
Have you wanted to get to know St. Thomas Aquinas and his writings more so as to grow closer to Jesus?
Sign up for any of the short and free courses at Aquinas 101 a project of the Thomistic Institute seeks to promote understanding of the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, the eminent 13th-century philosopher, and theologian.
Aquinas is a masterful interpreter of reality. His writings assist us in answering perennial questions on topics like God, man, the natural world, law, and morality, and questions of special relevance to our time like the relationship between modern science and faith or pursuing happiness in the digital era.