May 30, 2021 | Weekly Update
How can one God be in three persons?
At the root of Christianity is the belief in the Trinity, which means that in one God, there are three persons—the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
The Trinity is a mystery, not in the sense that we know nothing about it, but rather it’s something we can know and understand only partly.
Watch the short video on the Flocknote email to see how St. Augustine uses the metaphor of the mind to make the Trinity more understandable. As you watch, reflect on how the truth that “God is love” also helps us understand the Trinity.
We hope to see you at the Mass for Holy Trinity Sunday where the presider for each Mass will be preaching, or see you during the week at any of our gatherings or daily Mass. Sign-in ahead of time at this link or at the door.
THIS COMING WEEK
- Let us be in prayer for our heroes; please join us on Memorial Day at the 9am Mass. We’re the land of the free because of the brave.
- St. John Paul said of Eucharistic processions: “Our faith in the God who took flesh in order to become our companion along the way needs to be everywhere proclaimed, especially in our streets and homes, as an expression of our grateful love and as an inexhaustible source of blessings” (Mane Nobiscum Domine, No. 18).
And, Pope Benedict XVI said, “Corpus Christi processions allow us to “immerse [Christ], so to speak, in the daily routine of our lives, so that He may walk where we walk and live where we live.”
- We pray you will walk with Jesus at the procession that will begin after the 12pm Mass.
- Special note to the children who had their First Communion last year and this year; come to the procession in your white dress or suit, paving the way for Jesus by ringing the bells and covering the path with flower petals.
- Connect with Shirley Staples for any questions and/or to help out at 630-815-5799 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please help our brothers and sisters in need; sign up at this link for any of the items posted, or send funds via the Give page or checks payable to Our Lady of Mercy and note on the memo “Hesed House-PADS”. Thank you so much for your generosity.
‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’— Matthew 25:40
- Respect Life 1st Friday Devotion on 6/4 from 8am to 2pm
- We hope you can come out anytime from 8am to 2pm, to pray for the helpless, innocent unborn who can’t speak for themselves. Pray in front of Planned Parenthood, at the public right of way access. Connect with Lisa SanDiego for any questions (630) 258-0122 or email@example.com. https://bit.ly/3yGSzmU
- Confessions immediately following the 8am Mass
- Every 1st Friday (in addition to the 8am Mass), we will have a 12pm Mass.
- 1st Saturday 6/5 after the 8:30 am Mass is the First Saturday Devotion
- This devotion is one ot the principal points of the Fatima message. It consists of the following, on 5 consecutive first Saturdays: Going to Confession, Receiving the Sacrament of Holy Communion, Praying five decades of the Rosary, and Meditating for 15 minutes on the mysteries of the Rosary. Find out the reasons why the five Saturdays from our Lord Jesus to Sister Lucia as well as additional details here. We hope you incorporate this powerful devotion into your life. Please connect with Bonnie Ramirez 630-723-4289 for any questions.
- Outdoor Confessions are dependent upon the weather. If it is raining heavily, Father James will hear Confessions in the Narthex. If it is light rain where you won’t be drenched, he will hear Confessions outside.
- We are looking for an intentional disciple of Jesus who will be the Associate Director of Family and Youth Evangelization and Catechesis for Grades 6-12. Please lift up in prayer who God is going to send to us and please let others know as well so as to cast the net wide for our search.
- Click here for details.
LOOKING AHEADMobile Food Pantry on Weds 6/9
Let us be in Prayer on 6/10
- Please spread the word on the Mobile Food Pantry this month. Share the attached link. If you have a Facebook account, keep an eye for the upcoming Facebook post from our page and share it; this is an easy way to help someone you may be unaware that is in need of food that is in your network of friends or acquaintances.
Another Pizza Party for a Cause at Little Pops Pizzeria on 6/10
- Let us be in prayer on June 10th for our Father Don. He will be in the hospital for surgery to remove his thyroid.
24 Hour Adoration Chapel at Saints Peter and Paul opens back up on 6/13
- Make it a pizza night on Thursday 6/10th! Or rather, make it a pizza DAY! Proceeds benefit the Teen Mission Trip to the Twin Cities. Thank you to the Knights of Columbus Council #12005 for hosting. What a great excuse to eat pizza “eat pizza for a good cause!” Share this ad with others and support our Mission Trip teens.
Knights of Columbus Blood Drive 6/19
- Our Lady of Mercy Eucharist Adoration times are Monday and Thursdays 8:30am to 6pm. Wednesdays 8am to 12pm and at Magnify typically at the last Wednesday of the month from 7pm to 8:30pm. To sign-up for any of these times, click here.
- If these times do not work for you, Saints Peter and Paul have a 24 Hour Adoration Chapel which will re-open on Sunday 6/13th, you can sign up at this link or by calling their parish office 630-355-1081.
Virtual Baby Bottles for Life Mother’s Day to Father’s Day 6/20
- Schedule to donate blood at this link on Saturday 6/19 from 8am to 12pm. Every donor will save up to 3 lives!
- While appointments are appreciated, walk-ins are welcome!
- You DO NOT NEED the Covid-19 vaccine in order to donate.
- You are also eligible to donate if you received a COVID-19 vaccine on or before 6/16.
- Please make sure to eat a healthy meal and drink plenty of water before donating. Thank you!
A summer MAGNIFY Wednesday 6/16
- Help the babies and their mothers and fathers who are facing the unexpected news of their unplanned pregnancy.
- Support the Our Lady of Mercy Respect Life Ministry annual Baby Bottle For Life Fundraising for Waterleaf Women’s Center from Mother’s Day (May 9, 2021) to Father’s Day (June 20, 2021). http://www.fundeasy.com/m/5133322/
AMA with Father James sometime in June
- Save the date for a summer MAGNIFY.
Vacation Bible School (VBS) Coming this Summer! 8/2 – 8/6
- From answering “Why does Fr. James use a different sized host than Fr. Don?” to “What do I do if a close relative/friend invites me to their same-sex ceremony?” made for a fun and an illuminating AMA. Was your question one of the 13 Father James answered? At this link is the recent AMA with a timestamp for each of the questions and topic-related links.
- Keep an eye out for when we will have the next one sometime in June as we continue to answer all the questions that was submitted (10% was answered). Have more questions? Submit them at this link.
Don’t Get Scammed by Fake Fathers!
- We are excited to announce that OLM Vacation Bible School will be welcoming 100 students in person this summer! Children, come on out 8/6 thru 8/6 from 9am to 12pm and embark on an epic quest through hidden ruins, ancient caves, and dense jungles.
- At Treasured VBS, kids dig into action-packed, faith-filled adventures. They’ll discover God’s greatest treasure isn’t diamonds, gems, or gold – it’s them! Details and registration are at this link.
- Did you get an email from (a fake) Father Don this past week? Please remember, Father Don and Father James DO NOT send texts or emails asking for money or gift cards. If you receive a message appearing to be from Father Don or Father James, please discard it and DO NOT SEND ANY ELECTRONIC MONETARY AID.
Supporting OLM through the CMAA
- Don’t forget to check out Father Don’s insightful weekly Bulletin articlelocated here.
Regarding OSV Online Giving
- If you have not done so already, please do consider supporting our efforts here at Our Lady of Mercy by supporting the Diocesan Catholic Ministries Annual Appeal (CMAA).
- The CMAA allows us, together, to do our part in building God’s kingdom here on earth. Father Don and Bishop Hicks are asking us to join them in supporting the CMAA to help the poor and vulnerable, form our future shepherds, and spread the faith through our Catholic schools, faith formation programs in parishes, and programs for young adults.
- Our parish’s goal for the 2021 CMAA is $154,400, with 70 percent of any amount we raise over this goal returned to us for our use.
- If you wish to donate now, please click here https://bit.ly/2MOQHVY Read the following report at this link https://bit.ly/3dd154Xon how your gifts to the CMAA helps. For further details, please click here https://bit.ly/3jQxf7i
- Thank you for prayerfully considering supporting the 30 ministries and shining Jesus’ light brightly in our diocese.
For the Hispanic Community
- Our Online Giving is getting an upgrade to a newer, easier-to-use platform! If you currently give online, you will soon be receiving an email with instructions on how to log into the new system. Best of all, your existing payment and donation information will be migrated over so you will not have to set up your gifts again! Keep an eye on your email for more information coming very soon.
Stream Team Update
- Please proceed herefor the OLM Hispanic Ministry upcoming events and resources.
Continúe aquí para conocer los próximos eventos y recursos del Ministerio Hispano de OLM.
- There will be Stations of the Cross in Spanish every 2nd Wednesday of the month after the 12pm Mass.
A partir de la próxima semana, habrá Estaciones de la Cruz en español cada segundo miércoles del mes después de la misa de las 12 pm.
A Note from the Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- With the increased Church capacity of 600 people, we will only live stream the 10am Mass. We will live stream additional Mass times if we find there are more than 600 people attending each Mass and will need to seat people in the PLC/gym area.
- For those who are not comfortable attending Mass in the Church, please continue to watch on your mobile device in your vehicle, where Holy Communion will be brought to you.
- We continue to seek creative individuals who are interested in joining our “Stream Team” to help. It is fun, easy, and fulfilling to take part in and you’ll have the love, support, and thankfulness of the Livestream Community.
- If you are interested or know someone who would enjoy volunteering in this role, please connect with firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re looking for volunteers to join “The Messengers”
- How can we be praying for you today?
There are times when life is overwhelming when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you. Submit your prayer requests at this link
- The overall goal of this team is to bring to life through communications our parish vision: to offer every person a life-changing encounter with Jesus, grow disciples and send them on mission.
- Volunteers that will be part of “The Messengers” team will be tasked with implementing the Communications, Social Media, and Online Engagement Strategy of Our Lady of Mercy.
- They will be trained and empowered to manage engaging communications pieces of our parish such as our emails (like this Weekly Update), and postings on all our Communications platforms (website, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter).
They can also assist in creating social media content that builds relationships and community as well as other projects at the direction of the Communications Director.
- Must either be a committed disciple of Jesus or open to being one
- Needed skill sets
- Must enjoy working with others towards common/shared goals and communicate well in a spiritually paced, engaging environment.
- Some knowledge of Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and other emerging platforms.
- Strong content writing/editing background.
- Takes initiative and responsibility, a self-starter.
- Desirable skill sets (but not necessary)
- Some skills in graphic design. Photography, audio/video editing are assets.
- Familiarity with best practices and analyzing analytics of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Interested? Have questions? Know of someone that can be a “Messenger”? Connect with email@example.com, she would love to chat about the volunteer position over coffee, zoom, or phone call.
- We continue to launch Grow Groups, one group at a time. In February, we launched the Consuming Fire Young Adultwhich has grown to be a community of about 40 young adults that are growing in their relationship with Jesus together living out discipleship through real relationships where there is authenticity, accountability, and accompaniment. Let the young adult in your life know about Consuming Fire, connect them to their website at this link or with Matt Kubanda and Mary Rysavy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Launching Weds June 9th is Vine & Branches. Please see below!
What is Vine & Branches?
- Vine & Branches is a group at Our Lady of Mercy that offers support and belonging to individuals of any age or faith who are divorced or separated on the way to divorce.
- The group’s primary purpose is to help divorced or separated individuals looking to restore hope, find healing, and grow authentic friendships with other individuals who are in a similar situation.
- If this group is of interest to you or if you would like to know more, connect at the following. Don’t forget to let others know who may want to be part of this grow group.
GROW YOUR FAITHFORMED.ORGDiving into the beauty of the Faith has never been easier: at home, on the go, or from any internet-connected device. Discover thousands of books, audio talks, movies, documentaries, and studies… there is something for every member of the family to help them grow closer to Christ and His Church.
FREE CONFERENCESIn this section, you will find free conferences, webinars, and studies that you can freely take part in that can grow your faith.
- Visit http://signup.formed.org/
- Enter our parish zip or name
- Enter your name and email
- JUNE 4 – 6 EUCHARISTIC CONFERENCE
REGISTRATION for the virtual EUCHARISTIC CONFERENCE being held next week can be found by clicking here at this link as well as for the list of the amazing presenters. Be a part of a revival of love for the Eucharist in the Catholic Church
- JUNE 5 FRANCISCAN UNIVERSITY STEUBENVILLE CONFERENCE
REGISTRATION for the free livestreamed session of POWER and PURPOSE held on June 5th can be found by clicking here at this link.
- JUNE 5 AUGUSTINE INSTITUTE’S 2 HOUR BIBLE CONFERENCE
A Power-Packed two hours! We’re excited to invite you to the next Augustine Institute Bible Conference! To prepare for the Feast of Corpus Christi, Dr. Brant Pitre, Dr. Mary Healy, and Dr. Tim Gray will uncover the sacramental mystery, power, and significance of the Holy Eucharist found in Sacred Scripture. Submit your questions early and join us for this two-hour virtual event on Saturday, June 5!
REGISTRATION for the free 2-hour virtual BIBLE CONFERENCE Saturday, June 5th from the Augustine Institute can be found here at this link.